Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

DonutHands

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Los Angeles
I've been a developer since the OS 7 days and helped to create some of the best known commercial utilities for Mac. Thanks though.

Are you actually saying people are actively developing 32-bit products for Mac to this day?

I think he is saying that existing apps, still being supported, originally developed as 32-bit may not necessarily have resources dedicated to them to be ported to 64 bit versions at this time.

Comment

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If your app isn't 64-bit by now, it means the developer abandoned it years ago.
That's not always true. There are a number of apps on my 32-bit list that have not been abandoned, and are still offering updates, such as apps from Adobe, Microsoft and others.

Comment

mrr

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2008
Sux. I have several small abandonware apps that I still use on the Mac. Unhappy camper.

Comment

Exile714

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2015
I was expecting them to drop this with 10.14. 10.15 will probably release for customers in October 2019.

Gotta move on eventually...

Reactions: Wackery
Comment

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
I registered to make this comment. I OWN a copy of Adobe Creative Suites 6 and frequently use InDesign for documents used by a non-profit for which i volunteer. Needless to say Adobe will not be upgrading this software simply because it wants me and everyone else to pay a monthly fee to use their software in the cloud. I'm not a professional graphic designer, so paying Adobe hundreds of dollars a year is painful to say the least. Just saying that for all the promise of a beautiful future if we simply follow Apple down the garden path is not necessarily a good thing for all of us in all situations. If someone believes this is a silly problem, we'd welcome a hefty donation to make moving to the new world easier. A perpetual grant of $500 a year should solve the problem. Any takers?
...Or you can keep an older operating system. $500 a year is peanuts. Sheesh. Work around the problem instead of making it somebody else’s.

Reactions: OldSchoolMacGuy
Comment

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I registered to make this comment. I OWN a copy of Adobe Creative Suites 6 and frequently use InDesign for documents used by a non-profit for which i volunteer. Needless to say Adobe will not be upgrading this software simply because it wants me and everyone else to pay a monthly fee to use their software in the cloud. I'm not a professional graphic designer, so paying Adobe hundreds of dollars a year is painful to say the least. Just saying that for all the promise of a beautiful future if we simply follow Apple down the garden path is not necessarily a good thing for all of us in all situations. If someone believes this is a silly problem, we'd welcome a hefty donation to make moving to the new world easier. A perpetual grant of $500 a year should solve the problem. Any takers?

Or you can run the software via virtual disk on your computer. Keep an old OS on hand and have it setup via parallels or VMWare. I will be doing the same as there are applications that won't be following suite.

If I couldn't do the above, I would not upgrade my OS. I would keep using the old, or have a separate computer set aside for doing the work you need to do.

There are more than one way to work around this. Are they the best no. But there are ways.

Reactions: Dana Beck
Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
I'm a bit surprised by all the 32-bit apps on my system, which I setup from scratch back in February on High Sierra. There's a lot of Adobe garbage in there, some Cisco VPN stuff, a bunch of items that I have no idea what they are, and surprisingly Text Wrangler. Apple apps include DVD Player, InkServer, Preferences, and quicklookd32.

Comment

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Amazon's Kindle for Mac is still 32 bit. Hope they upgrade it soon.

Do people really read entire ebooks on their computer? I can't imagine staring at my computer screen that long only reading text. 10 out of 10 times I'd read it on my Kindle instead of the app on my Mac.

Comment

MacsRgr8

macrumors 604
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 22.02.35.png

Compressor also 32 bits..?

Comment

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Where did you see this? BoxerApp is a front-end to the venerable (and still 32-bit) DOSBox app, and I'm trying to find out if there's a 64-bit version of that old beast. Know anything about that?
With every new macOS I do a trial install on a backup Mac to make sure DOSBox still works. I will try the “vogons” version and try to be ready in time for Death Valley, or whatever Apple calls the next OS.

Comment

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
There are a few 32-bit apps I see that I still use.

Adobe installers/uninstallers/registration
All2MP3
Audacity
BirthdayScannerX
Ecamm Call Recorder
GoogleTalk Plugin
Google Voice and Video Uninstaller
Microsoft Excel
Microsoft Outlook
Microsoft PowerPoint
Microsoft Word
Quicktime Player 7

Comment

jasnw

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2013
Seattle Area (NOT! Microsoft)
With every new macOS I do a trial install on a backup Mac to make sure DOSBox still works. I will try the “vogons” version and try to be ready in time for Death Valley, or whatever Apple calls the next OS.
I do the same. I tried this on an El Capitan system (none of them new-fangled macOS systems for me!) and it ran OK on my simple test (an old DOS money manager). Just needed a tweak in the config file. I've got a laptop with Sierra on it, and I'll try that tomorrow. The OS does indeed identify it as a 64-bit app.

Comment

Morod

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....
Do people really read entire ebooks on their computer? I can't imagine staring at my computer screen that long only reading text. 10 out of 10 times I'd read it on my Kindle instead of the app on my Mac.
I do read on my Paperwhite.
I just mentioned Kindle For Mac is a 32 bit app only because it is a 32 bit app that needs to be upgraded. :)

Comment

monokakata

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
If you create Kindles, as I do, you want to be able to complete the process and then have a look at it on the same computer.

I suppose I could ship it off to my iPad and examine it there, but a lot of Kindle (and generic e-book) creation is iterative. I'd have to have to add anything to my workflow.

Reactions: Morod and milo
Comment

Nixie1972

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2010
Schermafbeelding 2018-06-06 om 09.21.45.png

What is it with DataColor not supporting 64 bits and still lagging retina support in all of their apps.
So lazy for a company focussing on perfect screen rendering.

Comment

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
If your app isn't 64-bit by now, it means the developer abandoned it years ago.

It'll be nice to be 64-bit only. Means slimming down application packages for some.

Could it be that the developer is dead or simply not existing anymore? Talking about my old Amiga games that I lost once already when Amiga Computers went down. I will have dead bytes again.
[doublepost=1528320536][/doublepost]

I switched to Pixelmator from PS. Didn't regret it. Affinity Photo was another great alternative. Affinity Publisher is coming to the Mac later this year and will be more than a replacement for Indesign.

Comment

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
There are a few 32-bit apps I see that I still use.

Adobe installers/uninstallers/registration
All2MP3
Audacity
BirthdayScannerX
Ecamm Call Recorder
GoogleTalk Plugin
Google Voice and Video Uninstaller
Microsoft Excel
Microsoft Outlook
Microsoft PowerPoint
Microsoft Word
Quicktime Player 7

Plus...[I still need to check for updates with some of these]

Captain FTP - probably a similar 64 app available but setting up favourites will be a nuisance
EyeTV - Elgato sold this to Genitech and development seems to have halted
iWeb - discontinued Apple product that is needed to edit some (very) old web pages
Komposer - editing even older web pages
MakeMKV - hopefully a 64 bit version is in the works
NeoOffice
Pinpoint - turns cursor into crosshairs - Developer has just advised me that 64 bit is on the way
Quicktime 7 - discontinued Apple product that has some handy editing features not available in later versions
Stuffit expander - will look for 64 bit equivalent
WebEX - video conferencing app - hopefully this will be updated

Last edited:
Comment

halluxsinister

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2017
Some of us still use those abandoned programs.
I agree... I use several.
Oddly, some of those apps decried as "abandoned" are FROM Apple. Will Apple be replacing those? Or will Mojave (or later iterations) simply not come with them? Particularly, (I just checked mine over, running 10.13.4,) and it shows DVD Player, (by Apple, Inc.) Version 5.8, last modified March 30th, 2018, as not being 64-bit Intel, and it's not the only one.

Is Apple doing away with the Apple-made, macOS-X included software DVD player?

Reactions: max2
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.