How to leave mail in server, confused

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by novetan, Sep 23, 2010.

1. novetan macrumors 6502

I'm leaving town and like to retrieve email from web server in those oversea internet cafe while still wish to leave incoming mail in my inbox at the home computer. Here's the confusion using Mail.

In Outlook Express, its very clear. We check the box "leave mail in the server". If we don't check it, nothing will happen.

But in Mail. it seems the reverse.

A) If we don't check the 3rd box, does it means forever its in the server?
    B) Now if we check the 3rd box, we prompt the server to remove mail which in this case after one month and I'd assume the mail will be auto removed after one mth. Then what is the use of the right box (remove now).

I have done some experiment and it seems confusing. What I wanted was to able to retrieve mail from web server whilst in oversea while still maintaining all incoming mail for by home computer until my next order.

Can someone clarify please. Thanks for help.

A
    [​IMG]

B
    [​IMG]

2. angelneo macrumors 68000

Do you wish to download the mail? If not, I suggest you use IMAP instead.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

4. novetan thread starter macrumors 6502

POP

5. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Leaving messages on the server works only with IMAP. Get a GMail or MobileMe account or set up an IMAP server, and forward the messages from you old account to the new one.

6. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

OP, use IMAP. You can control it however you want. IMAP is superior in every way and works great with Apple Mail 4.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

FWIW, that's not always true. Virtually every email client that supports POP has a client-side setting that will leave the email on the server.

I think your suggestion to set the POP email account to forward email over to an IMAP account (like gmail) is the best way to do deal with this situation!

8. novetan thread starter macrumors 6502

I have chat with the Apple Care people and he has guided me. I'm using POP way. Thanks guys

9. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

That is plain WRONG. Often POP servers will allow you to leave the message on the server if you wish.

To the OP, the use of the box "remove now" is that you might wish to clear out your messages on the server at some point, that allows you to do that. Otherwise, you'd have to wait up to a month for them to expire.