How to let one client through AirPort with absolutely no restrictions?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ravenvii, Aug 24, 2007.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I have an AirPort Extreme (802.11n). I use my MacBook Pro to connect to the internet wirelessly in my apartment. No problems.

But I also have a videophone. It is connected to the AirPort via ethernet port. The videophone requires direct access to the internet, with no restrictions (firewalls or otherwise). How do I set this up?

And does MAC filtering apply to ethernet-connected clients? Or wireless clients only?

2. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Anyone? With the wealth of knowledge on MacRumors I'm surprised no one knows the answer to this one...

I did some research on my own, and it looks like it has something to do with default host? Am I on the right track?

3. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Find out what ports it needs and open then for that IP, but also, assign that IP to that MAC address. So that in the event your MBP would grabs that IP you don't want those ports open for it.

Go here to learn about port forwarding. http://portforward.com/

I am not sure how to lock Mac addresses to IPs on the airport but i will look it up shortly for you.

4. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Also, generally, a computer connected to the net through a router is completely free to do what it pleases. The problem arises when you have obscure ports or multiple clients where the data path is longer, which is why port forwarding helps.

You may not need to do anything unless you are actually restricting clients through your airport. I don't own one so I can't really say how the setup goes.