How to lift G5 off Carpet?

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
Does anyone have any suggestions how to raise the G5 a couple inches off of carpet? They used to sell "risers" for the G4 which it could sit on. I don't see anything like this for the G5 and I really want to get it off the carpet. Could I simply sit it on a piece of plywood (may look ugly) or something. I would really appreciate any type of solution. I don't want to sit it on my desk in the studio because need the workspace. thanks.

here is the link to the risers http://store.yahoo.com/lovemacs/griser.html

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
My dual G5 sits on the carpet, I think the little handles fulfill the task of keeping it isolated from the carpet.

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
KingSleaze said:
Maybe a couple of decorative glass bricks?
lmao. I never heard of decorative glass bricks, but thanks ha ha..

My friend said Ikea has computer carts they use at the office for their G5's. I may try one of those. I am just paranoid about dust.. thanks..

jnicolso1

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2004
Adelaide
I used a small metal workshop shelving unit. you cut the risers to the desired height then put the two shelves in to brace it, they are pretty cheap about $50 at your local Dahlsens (hardware store) for non gippslanders.
Cheers
James

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
I would NEVER allow my tower anywhere near carpeting or a vacume cleaner.

Dust, heat, static electricity, poor circulation, pets, drinks, kid grunge etc, NO WAY!

Exposure to the magnetic fields created by vacume cleaners can gradually magnetise electronic equipment.

What this user and many like him need is an Xserve based
Apple "DeskUnder" Workstation.

A few screws and the CPU panel mounts to the underside of your desk. :D

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
jared_kipe said:
My dual G5 sits on the carpet, I think the little handles fulfill the task of keeping it isolated from the carpet.
same with mine. I just figure the handles give it enough clearence. Heck I can slide my toes underneath it while I'm sitting at my desk so I figure it's clear of the carpet.

Nugget

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
Houston Texas USA
FFTT said:
What this user and many like him need is an Xserve based
Apple "DeskUnder" Workstation.
I'm guessing that you've never actually heard an Xserve running. The fans on those things sound like jet engines. Nobody in their right mind would want to bolt one to the underside of their desk.

diddy

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
I have mine on what used to be a shelf from a microwave stand. Fake woodgrain and all. Its about an inch think and keeps the G5 off the floor just enough for me not to worry about it. Also gives extra stability over carpet, which is good.

Or you could leave it where it is and make a habit of opening it up and blasting that sucker with air. Its another excuse to pop the door and say 'ooohhhhhhhh'. haha.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
Nugget said:
I'm guessing that you've never actually heard an Xserve running. The fans on those things sound like jet engines. Nobody in their right mind would want to bolt one to the underside of their desk.

I wasn't thinking in terms of using an actual XServe, but something similar
specifically designed to be hidden away under the desk, yet allowing
easy access to the drive bay.

Obviously, it would be a challenge to adapt 55lbs of dual CPU to get it off the desk top and off the floor as well.

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
lmao. Thanks for the responses. I was considering the lanyard idea. I always wanted to be like flava flav and commit suicide at the same time. The two mac mini idea's came in second. Yeah I dont like it on carpet but had no choice. I found something at office depot that I am going to look at in person. Not sure how much it raises it off the ground or if it will work.

http://www.officedepot.com/ddMain.d...ocation_info=SG_10_CT_802_SC_802001_FM_173226

The skateboard looks cool, if it raised it a little more it would be perfect. may look into that.

So is vacuuming around a computer a bad idea? I know vacuuming the inside can be a risk. thanks

and is using can air ok, as long as you dont tilt it upside down? are all places safe in the computer to blow the air?

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
ah, that is perfect. THANKS. I will be ordering that. I don't mind paying $50. well worth it. That is what I was looking for. And thanks for the air blower. Everyone has such a different opinion it is hard to gauge what is good or bad. Some say air is fine as long as you don't let it drip, some say vacuuming is fine (stores even sell mini vacuums). I dont know what is right and wrong half the time.

Is it at least safe to vacuum the carpet near the computer? thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.