How to limit your internet usage when tethering with your iphone

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by petererr, Nov 28, 2013.

1. petererr, Nov 28, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2013

petererr macrumors member

petererr

Hi,

I got myself a massive bill once because of this before. I think there are loads of applications that could consume internet in background, app updating, auto online backup, etc.

Is there a way to limit the internet usage only to one app, say chrome, when you tether with your phone?

2. vistadude macrumors 65816

Mcafee firewall could do this but it's been more than a decade since I used it and probably will never recommend installing it. Windows firewall can do this too. With mac os, you have a lot of stuff going in the background like icloud, push notifications, auto software update, itunes etc.

Also there are special versions of websites that show less graphics, like gmail. I don't know how to access them but I've read some articles about it.

3. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

I don't think so. The issue is not with the iPhone but the device you are tethering to it, its that other device you have to control/restrict. App updates etc on the iPhone aren't the cause of a big bill whilst tethering.

This thread is also in the wrong forum.

4. petererr thread starter macrumors member

petererr

Exactly what I don't want to see happening when tethering with my phone.

----------

I was talking about background applications/system update on mac, not on iphone dude.

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

If you run Windows 8 in bootcamp, use Windows 8. It has a special "low bandwidth" tethering mode.

6. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

OK, in fairness you weren't specific. As I said there's nothing on the iPhone to control data requests from the connected device. On the Mac you can turn automatic updates off in system preferences but that wont stop programmes you have loaded making "normal" requests. I have no such data usage issues when I use my Mobile Wifi device with my Mac Mini as automatic updates are off, all update downloads require my manual approval.

7. frimp macrumors newbie

I use Little Snitch as firewall. I have profiles activated, and the tethering profile blocks more outbound connections than my home profile. Works.