how to link /sites in Lion

macsymacker

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
hello everyone,

I would like to link /sites to another folder that I have created somewhere else.

how can I do this?

I looked and found linking stuff in linux and unix but /sites is a system-created folder and I don't want to mess things up.

thank you.

macsymacker

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
hi there,

that is exactly what I am looking for. it is easy to create an alias for /sites but that is not what I seek though. I want /sites to become an alias to another folder.

thank you.

Are you looking for somethings like an Alias ?

mrgraff

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
If I'm reading your question right: you want to change the target of the /sites alias to be something else?

Seems like it would be easier (and less likely to "mess things up") to just create a new alias and work with that one instead.

macsymacker

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
hello,

I agree it would have been easier and more logical but I set up my Apache set up to point to another directory where I keep most of my files, nested and sorted in a self-logical way. ;-)

anyway in the end I removed the /sites with rm -R ~/Sites and then hard linked to the other folder with ln -sF ~/sites ~/to/target

for now it works.

If I'm reading your question right: you want to change the target of the /sites alias to be something else?

Seems like it would be easier (and less likely to "mess things up") to just create a new alias and work with that one instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.