Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sarath

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2009
Hi,

I am testing a software which verifies for a package installation in the client(MAC client here) before proceeding with its job.The client software is to be configured first with the package it has to look for at the client.
For this I want to check all the installed packages in a MAC OS.This applies to both Leopard and Snow leopard.

I see there is a /Library/Receipts folder which contains a list of packages .But pkgutil when used gives a different list.Why is it so?Why does the list not match with the receipt folder contents?Is there any other way to get a wholesome list of all packages that are installed?

Moreover what's with Snow Leopard?:eek: I do not see the receipts folder anymore.How can I list the installed packages in Snow Leopard?

I greatly appreciate your help :)

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Snow Leopard
Things installed via package should visible here:

/Library/Receipts/InstallHistory.plist

You can open this with QuickView or TextEdit. But the Property List Editor that comes with XCode is the preferred method. XCode is of course free at developer.apple.com There is definitely a Receipts folder in Snow Leopard at /Library/Receipts. I am not sure why you don't see one. Hopefully you just overlooked it.

This is actually very important as it is a change from Leopard. If you had some software in Leopard and upgraded to Snow Leopard, and then try to upgrade that software. The installer may not be able to see that you have an old version due to this change. I know of at least one Developer who has had to address this with their clients.

Another location is /var/db/receipts

Leopard
In Leopard, /Library/Receipts

Another location is /var/db/receipts

Both
A much easier way is this command:

Code:
pkgutil --pkgs

This will give all packages. Running this through less will give you more readable output.

Code:
pkgutil --pkgs | less

You can also see the files that were installed, for example:

Code:
pkgutil --pkgs com.apple.pkg.DVDPlayer | less

As always, you can find out what else you can do with pkgutil by running:
Code:
man pkgutil

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.