Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ebt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2011
I've had a dabble with top & activity monitor, but cant quite see how to get a list of core usage by applications.

Eg.

Core 1, xx% used. yy% Safari, zz% itunes.
Core 2, xx% used. yy% mail, zz% MS Word.

Any bright ideas?

ebt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2011
Thanks for the reply. I'll admit I may have my stupid mode engaged, but I couldnt see any reference to which core the process is running on (yes, I've mashed my fingers into the keyboard for ages).

The -p switch just seems to be a more verbose output for a specific PID, unless I missed something? (entirely possible).

Im not sure if its relevant, but Im sitting on OSX10.6.8

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
It's hard to do because it isn't really that useful. Mac OS is a symmetrical multi-processing system. The operating system task scheduler is free to put any task that needs the CPU on any CPU at any time. The only real penalty to moving a task to a different CPU is possible CPU cache inefficiency. But it is outweighed by the fact a CPU is available to service the waiting task.

It's not like Safari only runs on CPU 1. As a matter of fact many of these programs are multi-threaded and it's possible Safari could have multiple threads running on multiple CPUs at once.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.