How to listen to music?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Noble Actual, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Noble Actual, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014

Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

For the Apple Watch Sport collection, how exactly do you listen to music with it...say when you're working out?

Does the Apple Watch have Wi-Fi or Bluetooth 4.0?

Will Apple have wireless earphones for this?

They didn't seem to announce any of these.

2. justinthesommer macrumors regular

justinthesommer

I thought of this, this afternoon. I know I have bluetooth earpods so I guess I'll have to use those on a run, but I do hope they come with wireless earpods of some sort.

3. 6GenNANO macrumors newbie

For music at the gym, I will be using these http://www.jaybirdsport.com/bluebuds-x-bluetooth-headphones/

More than likely it will support the latest bluetooth and wifi or it will be a big fail on Apples part.

Beats also have some wireless earbuds and headphones.

4. sheaitisnotso macrumors regular

Beats is now advertising bluetooth/wireless headphones in commercials so I imagine those will be pushed hard once the watch comes out.

5. Noble Actual thread starter macrumors 6502a

$350 for a Watch and then $200 for wireless Beats don't really make that much sense.

And I'm going to take a wild guess that the low tier Sport Watch won't even be at the lowest $350.

It's pretty scary that the best solution now is to just use alternatives and hope wireless is supported. Apple did not give enough info.

6. Julien, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Apple Watch is simply a convenient control for your Phone's music player. It doesn't contain music. So you listen the same way you are now you just don't have to pull your iPhone out to see/control the music player.

EDIT: Looks like I'm incorrect. On the Apple site it says:

"Music. Control the music on your iPhone without taking it out of your pocket. And when you leave iPhone at home to go for a jog, listen to music directly on Apple Watch."

Not sure how this will work????

7. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

That is one of those things that seems very un-Apple-like about the whole aWatch announcement. Lack of mentioning battery life and things like how music will be played locally is something more reminiscent of a Microsoft announcement.

In some sense, the announcement seemed premature.

8. Noble Actual thread starter macrumors 6502a

Especially for the Sport one, there should be a way to listen to music easily.

9. Thomas Davie macrumors 6502

Quite simple and elegant (not).

iPhone in your pocket
    watch on your wrist
    wireless headphones on your head
    bluetooth streaming from phone controlled by watch.

Not convoluted at all is it? I really wish someone could figure out how to listen to music without the watch then I could save $350

Tom

10. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

Just use the music controls on the headphones?

11. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

I've been thinking about this as well. The music has to be stored locally in order for :apple:Watch to play music without the phone. So probably it will have some internal storage, which also begs the question to what extent :apple:Watch will be able to operate independently from iPhone.

Will it basically just be an iPod nano with apps?

Not to mention you're walking around with 2000$ worth of electronics on you. :D

12. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

If it actually turns out to be that (essentially a Nano w/apps), I could see myself buying one. But I don't think it can be... at least not with the same battery life as a Nano.

13. Thomas Davie macrumors 6502

I apologize for not indicating I was being sarcastic. My bad.

Of course having 3 pieces of kit to listebn to music (watch, phone and headphones) is clumsy. I mean I can just see.....l

Siri, play 'next song'

Watch: Song 'nexttong' not found, skipping to next song.

Having to fiddle physically with the watch to play music seems...odd, although having the crown give one the ability to rapidly scroll through song lists is interesting.

Until I get one in my hands to try/play with I'm on the fence I guess.

Tom

14. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

This also opens up a couple more questions.

1) Will there be multiple storage options? There will already be 12 different Watches and if 3 storage options (like iPhone, iPad,...) this will make 36 versions. That's a lot of stock on hand just to have one of each.

2) Will it mount and sync with iTunes like an iPhone?

15. cmaier macrumors G3

I think it's quite clear from the announcement at Apple's website that music WON'T be played locally. It's merely a remote control for the music collection on your MANDATORY iPhone, which has it's own jack and bluetooth capabilities for headphones.

----------

No and no. It will connect to your iPhone, but it has no Lightning jack and iTunes even makes you connect your iPhone via lightning cable the first time. They've already said apps will be installed via the iPhone, so there's really no reason for it to connect to iTunes.

And no storage options. Primarily will rely on your iPhone's storage (iPhone will push information to it) and iCloud.

----------

Which it won't do, so ....

16. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

You need to look again. http://www.apple.com/watch/features/

"Music. Control the music on your iPhone without taking it out of your pocket. And when you leave iPhone at home to go for a jog, listen to music directly on Apple Watch."

17. cmaier macrumors G3

For that it will stream, I bet.

18. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Impossible since it has no cell or WiFi and only appears to have a BT LE radio.

19. firewood macrumors 604

It probably has a dual BTLE and Bluetooth audio chip. No iPhone needed (except to download music to the Watch before your run).

20. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Yes, and BT LE is audio too. But that goes back to my 2 questions.

How much space and are there going to be options?

How do you manage the music? iTunes sync?

21. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

The iWatch has internal storage, so it will be able to store music. Bluetooth headphones will probably come in the box.

22. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

What's an iWatch and almost certainly the Apple Watch will not come with BT headphones. However Apple will be glad to sell you a pair of Beats BT phones.

23. firewood macrumors 604

Doubtful, as Bluetooth headphones with audio quality to match the Watch are too expensive.

Plus, there's too much money to be made selling Beats BT headphones as an accessory!

24. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Are you going to be one of those "name police" people? :rolleyes:

Apple's announcement regarding the aWatch was very incomplete with regard to specifics. That is most likely because they're still smoothing out the rough spots. Onboard memory, syncing method, etc. are still in flux until Apple makes a definitive statement.

25. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

For me, local music storage is the most compelling reason to buy the Apple watch. It would be the perfect ipod Nano. No need to clip it to your body or swing in your pocket and no phone is necessary. I hope they put some decent stopwatch apps on there that won't need the phone like Pebble has.

My Pebble is also phone dependent but I can use it without the phone because developers have created various timing apps that don't require my phone. The only thing missing is that I can't play music and stream to my headphones.