How to load iOS 5 on a device once UDID is added?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by chrono1081, Jun 7, 2011.

1. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Hi guys,

I know this is a question for the Apple dev forums but its down at the moment.

If someones device UDID was added to a developer profile how would the person get iOS 5 on their phone? Wouldn't they still have to log into Apples site and download the iTunes 10.5 beta and iOS 5 dev preview? Or is there another way?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes. Or download it off one of the torrent sites and hope it's what it claims to be.

3. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Thanks so much! I thought this was the case but wasn't sure.

4. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I am not sure if iTunes 10.5 beta is required, since it's only available for Mac and I had Windows here at work.

I couldn't Shift-Update in iTunes to upgrade the iOS to 5.0. I had to backup my iPhone and iPad, then Shift-Restore to install the new iOS, then have it restore everything from backup and reinstall the apps.

So far, everything is working beautifully. Knock on wood, Apple has stepped up their game with pretty stable betas.

I only had a few quirky bugs that were squashed when I killed the app and relaunched it.

Other than the fact that HBO GO, Netflix, and Hulu Plus don't work for some reason, I'm glad over all, and it doesn't appear any slower than iOS 4.3.3 (my big concern was the iOS revisions kept getting more bloated and required a more hefty processor).