How to load Safari without plugins?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ppc_michael, Jul 22, 2007.

1. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

Is there a way to disable all Safari plugins, perhaps through a defaults write or something? Some stupid tech guy at my university installed all these plugins that make Safari crash a few seconds after launch, and I can't even seem to find them all to delete them.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

When you say plugins, do you mean web plugins like Flash, Shockwave, etc? Those are all in either ~/library/internet plug-ins/ or /library/internet plug-ins/ ...

Plugins like Stand, SAFT, etc, are usually in either /library/inputmanagers/ or ~/library/inputmanagers/ unless they use SIMBL or APE or some other framework.

The only way I know to block loading of plugins, ironically, is with another one. :eek: Safaristand has a "load plug-ins manually" option which prevents them from automatically being initialized.

3. ppc_michael thread starter Guest

ppc_michael

Oh! Well that's ironic. I do mean the SafariStand/SAFT kind. I did clear those two out from the Input Managers directory. I actually don't know what other plugins are installed, but I know Safari keeps crashing, and trying to launch Webkit says there are still Safari plugins installed, so I'm kind of going by that.

Safari crashes after about three seconds, so I wouldn't have time to get in to SafariStand to set the manual loading thing. :(