how to lock down a mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hehe299792458, Feb 1, 2010.

1. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

I've been feeling paranoid lately after reading a number of articles on how vulnerable my data is. I wanted to make my MBP more secure. I realize that with cold boot attacks, nothing is ever truly secure, but I do want my data more safely protect than with just an EFI and user password. I don't have any particular files on my computer that is pressingly sensitive, so I found truecrypt to be not very useful. I want my computer to generally well protected. Any suggestions? Thanks! :D

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You could enable File Vault
    Although I don't particularly recommend it

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You contradicted yourself... if there's nothing sensitive on your computer, what are you trying to protect?

4. hehe299792458 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

Yes, I don't have anything sensitive, but they are still personal. For instance, my vacation photos aren't state secrets, thought I still wouldn't want anyone being easily able to view them should my laptop is ever lost.

5. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

FileVault is the most transparent way to encrypt your files on a Mac.

The problem with it is that you can lose everything if a relatively small chunk of data becomes corrupted.

If you use FileVault, I would recommend using a good backup strategy. FileVault doesn't work well (if at all) with Time Machine, so you would need to find another plan.

Or... don't keep files you consider to be sensitive in any way on your laptop.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You could put them in an encrypted disk image with a strong password, then. Strong passwords are your best defense in the first place.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

+1 on this. I use the encrypted disk image to hold my personal data and find it quiet easy to use.

Safe computing habits are also a plus, like never leave the laptop unattended even for a minute. Strong passwords are a must and don't use public wifi to access sites that contain your financial information, i.e., don't log onto Bank of America at StarBucks

8. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Also you could use a program like Red Hand or iAlertU when you leave your computer for a while.

9. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Take advice from NSA. The Leopard stuff applies to Snow Leopard for the most part. While I like FileVault, from your description, it's not what you need. For the most part, what you need is a strong password and safe computer usage habits.