How to lock external hdd with mac os x?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Buck1, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Buck1 macrumors member

Is there anyway how can I lock an external hard drive? I ve got it format to ntfs, has got a lot of GB files. For writting files to it I am using tuxera. But now I am going from home for longer time and the hdd will lay down on my table and I am not interested in to discovering my files on it by other persons. How can I lock it? is it even possible?

Thank you very much

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

put it in a locked box and take the key. If anyone can get their hands on an unencrypted disk they can find the data.

3. Buck1 thread starter macrumors member

hm. What a pity I have no lock box at home :( So is there really no way how to lock it? without key and lock box? :apple::D

4. chown33, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

chown33 macrumors 604

What you're asking for is whole-disk encryption. And it must be compatible with NTFS. So google NTFS whole-disk encryption.

Then it also has to be compatible with Mac OS X (or with Tuxera), so add that to your search criteria.

If you can't find anything, then I'd say a lock-box with a key is your only remaining alternative. Or go to your local bank and ask to rent a safe deposit box. Take measurements of your disk drive, because smaller boxes cost less than larger ones, and you'll want to rent the smallest one that fits the drive.

Also, if you do find some encryption software, I recommend making a full backup of your disk to another unencrypted disk first, and only then testing the full-disk encryption with tuxera. Because it would be really bad if the software turned out not to work, and you lost all your data in the process of trying to secure it. That's one advantage of a lock-box: zero software compatibility problems.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

as chown33 says, if you do decide to encrypt, be very sure you have a backup first. In fact, I would have a backup anyway; besides the problem of software possibly messing it up, you also have to consider simple disk failure.

6. waynep macrumors 6502

Look at TrueCrypt. It works on OSX, Windows, Linux.

It's an open source product. It will do whole disk encryption or encryption containers. I use it for a few encryption containers. I regularly open the container on my Win machine or Mac.

7. Buck1 thread starter macrumors member

Many thanks here for advices. But I am sure I won t need em. Unfortunately. Becaues I have solved it yet in very strange way.

I try to make a encrypt hdd with help app called Knox. But firstly tried it through DISK UTILITY. Click to "repair disk". Everything on disk was been erased :D

Firstly I was so angry. But maybe it could happened

But thank you very much