how to lock files and folder?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NoBob, Jul 9, 2007.

1. NoBob macrumors member

Hi, Is there any way of locking files and folders from user changes in OS X? I have a lot of RAW files on an external mac-formatted HD and would like to stop them from being deleted or modified. Perhaps it's possible to change them to read only? Maybe that could work. Was wondering if OS X had something installed already that could do the job. If not, any suggestions for third party apps?

Thanks,
    NoBob.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The Mac has been able to lock files since forever. You access this functionality via the File>Get Info... menu item. MacOS X extended this capability with Unix file permissions. In addition to Get Info..., you can also use the Terminal and standard Unix commands.

3. NoBob thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, but if I go into the Info box, change the Ownership and Permissions settings to read only and choose "Apply to enclosed items", I get the message: "Are you sure you want to apply the selected owner, group and permissions to all the enclosed items? You cannot undo this.

I'd like it to be un-doable.

NoBob.

4. polycat33 macrumors 6502

Yeah, that scared me too, but I don't think it's a big deal. I mean, how undoable could it be? Can't you just set it back to whatever it was and then check the box for apply to enclosed files and folders?

5. BlankStar macrumors regular

it just means you can't hit "undo" and settings would be back.

you can still manually set them to whatever you want a zillion times...

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

7. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Naturally. If you have multiple items it would be more convenient. The OP stated he had a lot of RAW files and doing get info for several hundred if not thousands would be tedious and time consuming.