how to lock late 2011 to internal graphics card

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vexorg, Aug 28, 2016.

1. vexorg, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016

vexorg macrumors 6502a

My MacBook pro has developed the (discrete) ATI graphics fault. It's a late 2011 MacBook pro with both intel HD and additional ATI card built in.

It has all the signs of the graphics card fault as the screen corrupts and system reboots when it needs to use the ATI card. Seems to be well documented and accepted as a known fault by Apple

The gfxcardstatus app used to let you control it, now it cannot do so under Yosemite as the OS overrules it. I'm waiting to get it seen by apple, but in the mean time is there any way I can get the MacBook to disable the ATI card so that certain apps don't activate it and cause the reboot?

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68020

CoastalOR

There is a bug in the gfxcardstatus app. You have to set it to internal GPU only twice before it holds. It seems to ignore the the first selection to internal. If you restart the Mac then the setting to internal only will be lost and you will have to set it twice to get it to stick again. If your MBP gets to the point that the MBP will not restart because the discrete GPU fails the startup test then you are stuck until the hardware is repaired.

3. Abcab macrumors newbie

The replacement program for the ATI Graphic issue is available until the end of the year. I would advise you to take it to a Official Apple Store.

4. VAGDesign macrumors 6502

VAGDesign

I think somebody deleted all the .kext files from OS extensions folder, so the OS couldn't load the card when needed for the same reason. Search for it here or on Google/YouTube to see how.

5. vexorg thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cool, I'll try that. I had read that it was to do with the later OSX. I did have the power up crash and reboot loop, safe mode seemed to get out of that when I shut down safari then reboot it.

It's booked to get seen next week, so should be fixed well before then end of the year.

6. vexorg thread starter macrumors 6502a

That big fix done the job ok. Also been to apple and got it repaired for free.

I'm hoping that bug fix also help the battery life, it was forever running hot on the discrete graphics card.