How to "lock" my Airport?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Pacer69, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Pacer69 macrumors member

My new MacBook 2.4 shows me several area networks that my PowerBook never showed (wow). I notice that most of them have a padlock symbol next to them, but mine doesn't. Whoops. How do I lock my network like these others? I thought it was already locked but apparently it isn't.

I use an AirPort Extreme Base Station along with an AirTunes Express. Thanks.

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

Open Airport Utility and click manual setup. Then go over to the wireless tab, and the security stuff is in the bottom half of the window. Choose your encryption and set a password, and you should be set.

3. garjog macrumors newbie

airport utility won't open

I have the same problem. I thought that my airport was locked, but now suspect my neighbor's teenage son is hacking my computer.

I went to utility to open airport, but it searches for "wireless devices" and says that there aren't any installed.

What can I do to open the airport utility when it gives me that message?

4. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Does it say that it can't find the wireless base station or that you have no wireless card installed?

Do you have the card installed, and it it connected to your network fine?

Click on the Airport symbol in the menu bar, if it has a padlock next to it (in Leopard), then your network is encrypted.

Of course, if you're using WEP encryption, then it's easily possible for your password to have been cracked.

5. garjog macrumors newbie

When I go to Utility and click on Airport Utility it says that no wireless device is detected and asks to re-scan. But, I have a wireless card since I have internet connection.

When I click on the Airport Icon, it does not have a lock on it. I am in Leopard.

I do have a Web password and when I open the network user dialog box, it asks for a password.

I tried to create a new network (didn't work) but when I got out of my old network, suddenly a lock appeared on the old one on the icon dialog box.

What should I do?

I tried connecting to my wireless router (is that what it is called?) with a cord to gain non-wireless connection, but am not sure if Macs use the same cords as PCs. It didn't seem to work.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're referring to your own wireless network, if you're logged into it and connected, it doesn't show the padlock, because you've already unlocked it on your computer. It's still a secure network, if it requires a password. It's just unlocked to your computer. On other people's computers, your network would show up with a padlock on it.

7. Fulgham macrumors regular

That is if they are using an Airport Base Station...

Orig. Poster... what wireless router are you using?

8. Fulgham macrumors regular

Negative. Your WiFi is not secured.

Edit:
    As ggjstudios points out below... This may not be true in all cases... so I retract this post.

Attached Files:

9. Fulgham macrumors regular

Were both in agreement that you have a wireless card in your computer. Do you have an apple router?

I'm at a loss as to what you mean by a web password? Where do you type this password in? Do me a favor... when you get to the screen that asks for a password... press command()+Shift+4... This will turn your cursor into a target. Now press the space key (should turn your cursor from a target to a camera. Please now click the screen where you type your password in. That will in turn create a file named Picture #.png on your desktop. Attach this file to your reply.

Where did / how did you try to create a new network? If when you created it the dialog box said "Computer to Computer Network"... this is NOT what you want.

Simple answer... yes they use the same cord.

What you need to do is to change the Wireless Security settings on your Wireless Router. Its really easy to do if you have an Apple branded wireless router... but from the sounds of it... you do not.

What brand router do you have? once we know that we should be able to walk you through the setup.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Unless we're talking about two separate things, it is secure. As you can see, it requires a WEP password. But the padlock does not appear.

Attached Files:

11. Fulgham macrumors regular

Your on Leopard?

Edit:
    Just looked at your sig... 4GB of ram and the Penryn? yeah your running Leopard.

This is weird for me I have never seen the padlock disappear and re-appear. For me if the network is secured there is a padlock. If its not secured... no padlock. (which would be the way I would expect the UI to work)

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

10.5.4, yes. No one can log onto my network without the WEP password. It's not an Apple device. Does that make a difference? It's a wireless router/modem.

13. Fulgham macrumors regular

At my buddies place I connect to his Linksys with WEP all the time and the padlock stays.

I also used to connect to a "2Wire" network (Telus branded modem/router) and the padlock stayed there as well.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Normally, my MBP connects to my preferred network immediately after a reboot, so it gets the password from my Keychain. If I ever disconnect from my network, the padlock appears until I log in, then it goes away.

15. Fulgham macrumors regular

Alrighty then... I retract my previous post... so then i guess from what the OP was describing.. his WiFi is secured.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I just tested it, to be certain. I clicked on the Airport icon on my menubar and selected "Join Other Network" and selected "Show Networks". The list of available networks popped up, with mine included, with a padlock beside it. As soon as I logged in, the padlock went away.

17. Fulgham macrumors regular

Yea i should just go to bed.... I just re-read this thread and although I asked the OP what his router was a few times... he clearly states its an Airport Extreme in the first message.

18. Fulgham macrumors regular

OK my last attempt at some advice.... What makes you think that your computer is being "hacked"? Do you only have that one computer? If so you should have your file sharing off etc.

Anyway IF you have an Apple Wireless Router... make sure you are connected to the wireless network it is broadcasting. Apparently your network will have the padlock next to it. After you click on it and it asks your password (you can save the password in your keychain BTW)... the padlock may disappear.

Now you that you are connected on that network, try the Airport Utility again.

19. garjog macrumors newbie

Wireless Router is Airplus Xtreme G

"what wireless router are you using?"

My Wireless Router is "AirPlus Extreme G.

Our original computer was a PC.

My wife has a PC that doesn't the wireless. We do not share computer files.

20. garjog macrumors newbie

page snap shot of WEP Password box

"I'm at a loss as to what you mean by a web password? Where do you type this password in? Do me a favor... when you get to the screen that asks for a password... press command()+Shift+4... This will turn your cursor into a target."

OK, looks like the photo attachment worked.

Attached Files:

21. garjog macrumors newbie

long answers: "What makes you think that your computer is being "hacked"?"

"What makes you think that your computer is being "hacked"?"

I did a ClamXav spy check last week and under "users shared" it showed the name of my neighbor's son's computer. He is also my student. I thought that was weird since I set my computer not to accept shared computers.

When I clicked to open the file of my neighbor's son's computer, it said "Internet connection lost." Then the name of his computer (his name) disappeared and never appeared again.

Then I realized that perhaps I was tapping into my neighbors network by accident.

When I bought my MacBook, the salesman just said turn it on and it will find the closest wireless connection. I think that I remember that it linked up to a connection called Linksys. It has no lock on it, so I figured that it must my mine since Link something was the name of our first router. My old network "gary" showed, but I thought that must be for my old PC only.

I realized I could be accidendly linked to the wrong network and went to change it to the one set for my old PC called gary. (I tried to change the name after doing security research suggesting not to call a network by your name, but couldn't figure it out.)

I am now in the gary network, which also doesn't have a lock by it.

Why would my neighbor's son's computer appear as shared?

I did some research on cracking Mac's and it seems like it could be done without sharing computers. I know that this kid is computer smart and don't think that he is unethical, but he could use my home computer to hack into my school computer to find all of my exams.

Now I am in the gary.

Sorry for the long anwers, but you asked. Thank you so much for the help.

22. garjog macrumors newbie

ggjsudios screen shot looks like my Airport box

ggjsudios says: "Unless we're talking about two separate things, it is secure. As you can see, it requires a WEP password. But the padlock does not appear."

Yes, the screen shot that you post looks just like mine. The network that I am connected to does not have a lock once it is open, while my neighbor's networks -- except one called "Linksys" -- do have locks.

23. garjog macrumors newbie

just figured out quotes, wanted to make sure you were pinged

See anwer above. I just figured out how to quote here.

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I think garjog means "WEP" password, not "web" password.

25. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Go to the Apple site and click on support. Excellent pdf's on setting
    up and designing your airport network.

You should set it up with WPA security and change your airport
    password from the default "public."