How to lock the computer without putting it to sleep?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sylon, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Sylon, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012

Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

But how do you lock the computer without putting it to sleep? I tried looking in the Mac Basics page and I couldn't find it listed anywhere. I would like to leave my computer locked, but awake just in case I was downloading something in the background, similar to pressing Crtl+Alt+Del on a Windows PC and then hitting Lock Computer.

Is this feature on Apple computers?

:apple:

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

In SL, you can go system preferences > security > general and check require password immediately after screen saver begins. Then you can set a hot corner or key command to activate the screen saver.

I assume it works similarly for Lion.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can follow mobilehaathi's suggestion, or you can click the Keychain's padlock icon on your Menu Bar and select Lock Screen.
    ScreenCap 20.PNG

Also, you may have better success in attracting responses to your thread, and you'll make your thread easier to find for those browsing the forum for the same answers, if you change your thread title to something more descriptive. To do so, click the "Edit" button on your original post, then click "Go Advanced" and you will see where to edit the thread title.

4. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

Since Tiger, I've been using an App called SizzlingKeys. It is an iTunes shortcut app, but also has a very handy addition for locking your Mac.

So now I just use alt+cmd+down-arrow and my Mac locks. And the iTunes controls are great. And it's free.

5. Sylon thread starter macrumors 68020

Sylon

Thanks for the help guys, and the title has been changed in case anyone else is looking for the same thing. Thanks for the tip.