How to lock you macbook air on the table?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by yuhaii, Sep 27, 2008.

1. yuhaii macrumors member

Recently, I have to take my macbook air to work. But the thing is that I have to leave the table occasionally for sometimes. Anybody has some good ideas to lock the macbook air on the table? if there is suck lock, where to buy it?

Thanks ahead for your help

2. glitch44 macrumors 65816

The Air doesn't have a security port.

There aren't, as far as I know, "suck" locks.

You could attach one of metal ring style desk locks to it (with industrial adhesive) but I doubt you'd want to do that to your Air.

3. 11800506 macrumors 65816

This isn't a perfect method but you could just buy a regular bike lock or something similar and string the lock between the screen and keyboard of your MBA and then through a handle or something on your desk. Again, not great, but it would work.

I know Apple uses a USB system where when the cord is unplugged from the MBA's USB port and alarm of some sort goes off but I doubt you could buy something like that.

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Whatever you decide to do I'm sure it's going to be crude, because other than what the other to people said about bike locks and glue, I don't think you have much of a choice. (at least I can't think of anything.) :(

5. Mr$Whale macrumors member

I can't name them off the top of my head, but I know there's USB locks the one poster was mentioning. If I remember, there's a style that will set off some kind of alarm if the macbook is moved without entering a password in first, and the other one acts as a USB. If you set it, it locks the system or something, and then the only way to unlock is to use a special USB stick that you carry with you. Maybe search for various security stuff on the forum? I think that's where I've seen this stuff.

6. yuhaii thread starter macrumors member

Hi guys, thanks for your creative (maybe not) advice.

7. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Maybe you could try iAlertU. Not exactly what you are looking for, but it would be better than nothing.

8. garfield2002 macrumors regular

On my air I use LoJack for laptops. I got a really good deal for four years of protection off of eBay.

I also recently purchased a Belkin Laptop Alarm Lock - 1 Db -Audible Usb Security Alarm - F5L013, though I have not used it yet. It was free after rebate a few weeks ago from Frys.

Product link:
    http://shop3.frys.com/product/5680681?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Good luck. :)

9. yoppie macrumors 6502a

Agree. You might also consider Lockdown, which is a more updated program/version of iAlertU.

Lockdown

10. waywardsage macrumors 6502

waywardsage

the macbook air doesn't have a kensington slot? WFT? What didn't they include it on probably the most expensive tiny laptop on the market?

Tisk Tisk apple.

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

^^^ I hear ya' b/c my brand new Kensignton Locking Cable is NIB, but I really can't complain since I picked it up at BestBuy for $5 in a clearance bin...:(

12. Rondue macrumors regular

new born

You wouldn't lock a newborn baby to a table. Treat it like a baby take it with you. please believe if im at starbucks taking a leak the mba is right there watching. :)

13. yuhaii thread starter macrumors member

:eek:, thing is that it is not as easy as leaking sometimes......:apple: