How to log out/in as certain user?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Leahjune05, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Leahjune05 macrumors newbie

I renamed my "home" user ID by accident, appeared to have lost all my preferenced, but then found them under a new user ID on the hard drive. I then followed mac directions to name original home user ID back to what it should be in hope of getting preferences back with proper ID, and now it appears all of my preferences are residing with the correct user ID again. But the instructions end with, "Then log out and back in again as the affected user."

First of all- would the affected user be the original or the new user ID?

and second,

how do you log in or out as a particular user? I have only ever shared this indescriminitely, never noticed different user IDs till now.

Leahjune05

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

The affected user in this case is you. Your user name is the ID that had the issue, the one that you went though all this trouble to get your preferences back under. To log out and back in, just reboot the Mac. You just need to restart the user session so that all the preferences and stuff get a fresh start.

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The easy and best way to switch users is to switch on Enable fast user switching under System Preferences>Accounts>Login Options. Then all you have to do is click on your name in the right menu bar and it will (neatly roll around) switch to another user without having to log out or restart.;)