How to look for a job when you have a job?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, May 31, 2009.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

As the title says

I am considering the AF but also jobs back home in CO. What is the proper way to look for jobs withut having the current employer know until I decide to tell them?

When submitting resumes, how does one keep the propsective employer from contatcing current employer?

What is the most professional way to go about this?

Thanks for the advice. You guys are always helpful and I appreciate it more than you know

2. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

3. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Oooh boy, is this one tricky.

One thing I have discovered is that most companies interested in you will contact you first, before contacting current employers. If they do get in touch with you first, just ask that they not contact your current supervisor. I have actually applied for some jobs that have online application type things that actually say something like "may we contact your current employer?". Many companies today are only seeking the fact that you actually worked there, not actual evaluations, so you may get by with just giving them the HR department. Depending on the size of your employer, your supervisor may never find out.

The problem I have run into is interviews. Unless you can schedule them outside your working hours, it may become suspicious. If you keep calling in sick, leaving early, etc, they may begin to suspect something is up. Of course, since you are looking out of town, it won't be as bad. Face to face interviews in same city can be a problem, especially in a small town. I once had a co-worker get caught by our employer (the owner, even) coming from an interview. Seeing a dressed up computer geek is a dead giveaway to a funeral or job interview. :)

4. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

Truth be told and from a professional standpoint, your current employers should never hinder your transition to bigger and brighter things. Just facing the facts but we've pretty much moved past the clichéd "I've been working here for 40 years" bit. Many employers are completely aware of the fact now that people come in and contribute to their potential, gain some new skills, and bounce to greener pastures. I'm not talking about the habitual monster and careerbuilder job-to-job jumpers out there. Just your normal, everyday, hard working, goal oriented employee. Average lifespan of an employee is 3-5 years then off they go. I'm 100% sure a quick google search on attrition rates within major corps will back up this theory. As long as you put in your time and grow in the process you should be able to actively seek out whatever's best for you as an individual and for your family.
    The notion of loyalty in workplace died a long time ago. Think of it from this perspective, they'd cut you loose in a heartbeat if it means adding to the bottom line and saving the "company" long term. If you get any flack for having your resume out in the open then you're probably working for people you wouldn't want to be working for.
    Get in, do your best, get out...rinse repeat...

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I do my searching at night, the last thing I want to do is alert my current employer, that I'm looking. So I scan through monster.com/dice.com/whatever.com Plus using a head-hunter for your field is a good way too. They generally can get your foot in the door a lot easier then w/o them. I always use my personal cell phone and never receive calls related to a job search on my company landline.

6. MacVixen macrumors 6502

For an initial screening or over-the-phone interview, contacting a current employer is generally not necessary.

I was a Human Resources Manager for a large retail company for about 5 years - we were very understanding when people asked that we not contact their current employer unless we (the potential new employer) were seriously interested in hiring them. As steve2112 stated, almost all companies will not give references anyway - they will only verify employment dates, position held, perhaps job duties and whether the person is eligible for rehire.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I agree with most of the above posts. The answer is discreetly, carefully, quietly, and preferably not during office hours, and if then, be very careful and discreet. Use your own cell-phone, (not the company's, as pointed out by maflynn) and use your own email address, again, not the company's when scouting for employment elsewhere. Then, they can't argue that you are doing this on company resources and company time.

The only exception to this would be when it is known that a company is going to be shut down/wound up/relocated at which point it can be argued that one can openly do whatever one needs to in order to obtain alternative employment as the company will no longer be around.

Yes, in theory, most companies accept the facts of life, that employees don't have a job for life, and that individuals have a perfect right to improve their lot, or seek fresh pastures. In practice, however, life is not so rosy and in the current economic situation, one may be fired, or life made very unpleasant, if one's boss discovers that one is seeking employment elsewhere.

In addition, most would-be bosses will accept that they ought not contact an existing employer unless on the point of taking the candidate very seriously, if this is what the candidate requests, as MacVixen points out.

Cheers, and good luck

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Lol we are in the same boat.

Can't deal with Washington dc, the region of mediocracy where success doesn't depend on quality, but on connections.