How to look for specific kind of documents?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nukiduz, Jan 7, 2008.

1. nukiduz macrumors 6502

nukiduz

When I :apple:+F in Finder to look for certain kind of files, Leopard lets me only to choose its class (documents, pictures...) but I can't figure out how to do make a search for specific kind of documents. I want it to look for .pages, .doc, .txt, and .rtf files and add a search to the sidebar. How would you do this?

2. kostia macrumors regular

The default option you see is Kind / Is / Any.

Change Kind to Other. In the list that pops up, choose File Extension. If you check the box, this will be one of your options next time.

Type "pages" in the field.

This will list all .pages files on your computer. If you click Save, it'll create a Smart Folder. You can then drag this Smart Folder to your sidebar and have the search ready all the time, or you can just check the "Add to sidebar" checkbox when you save the search.

If you want ONE search to search for all four file extensions, you can use Spotlight's new Boolean abilities.

In your Spotlight window or in the search field in the upper-right of a Finder window, type this:

name:pages OR name:txt OR name:doc OR name:rtf

(You should be able to use "ext" instead of "name" but it doesn't seem to work for me. Name works fine; you'll get a few files that have "doc" or "pages" in the filename before the dot, but that's a small price to pay.)

You can then save this search as a smart folder same as the other. If you used the Spotlight menu, you have to click "Show All" first.

(edited to disable smilies as name:pages wasn't working)

3. wightstraker macrumors regular

If you're familiar with more conventional wildcards, you can search in the terminal with the following command:

find [filename]

You can use the * wildcard with find, for example:

find *.jpg

will list all jpeg files in the directory.

4. nukiduz thread starter macrumors 6502

nukiduz

Thanks. This helps but I'm still getting a lot of files that I don't want to see... Isn't there any way to make Finder find files with these extensions (pages, doc, rtf) and just that files?