Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Unetbootin and dd from the command line is not resulting in a flash drive that will boot from the computer for the Ubuntu distributions I'm imaging.

It has worked for another distribution such as Gparted Live but the Ubuntu 11.04 I'm trying to build just doesn't boot from a relative old Dell Laptop.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
I haven't used Unetbootin but it has a version for macOS so I presume it works. dd should be no issue. So I would say to make sure you have the flash drive formatted in FAT32. If that isn't the issue, I would blame the "old Dell Laptop" (make sure your BIOS settings for your Linux distro are correct and the BIOS is set to boot from the USB and you should be using a USB2 flash drive if there's any doubt). Interestingly, there was an old Dell laptop running Redhat in my workplace some years ago and after a power outage (battery was long dead), it couldn't boot. I wasn't able to re-install Linux on that computer after that (we routinely did Linux installs so I hope we were competent enough to do that). I was able to install Windows XP on that computer so who knows that the issue was?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.