How to make a bootable Lion DVD?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by slapple, Jan 1, 2012.

1. slapple macrumors 6502

I have the InstallESD.dmg file that I want to use to make a bootable Lion installer DVD. All the articles I've seen say just burn the file onto a DVD, and you've got yourself a bootable Lion DVD. Well I just tried that, and then I put the DVD into my MBP, restarted, pressed the Option key to load the Startup Manager, and it did not show my DVD as a startup option. So I guess the DVD isn't bootable. How do I make the DVD bootable and load the Lion installer?

2. slapple, Jan 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2012

slapple thread starter macrumors 6502

Figured it out. In case anyone wants to know -

I had right clicked on the InstallESD.dmg in Finder and did a burn to disc that way. All that did was put the InstallESD.dmg onto the DVD but it wasn't bootable. So I tried it a different way - dragged the InstallESD.dmg into Disk Utility and burned it from there - that ended up burning all the files within the InstallESD.dmg onto the DVD, and it's bootable.

EDIT:

Now I just tried to create a bootable USB drive with the Lion installer. I'm a new Mac user and am playing around with things and was just curious to see if I could do it. I followed the instructions given here - I formatted my USB drive with Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and then restored the InstallESD.dmg onto it using Disk Utility. Then I selected the USB drive from the Startup Manager while rebooting, and I get the gray circle with the cross in it (instead of the Apple logo) along with the spinning indicator below it. It's been spinning for 15 minutes and nothing's happening. Anyone seen this problem?