How to make a bootable Win 7 64-bit USB drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jon08, Dec 4, 2011.

1. jon08 macrumors 65816

Since I'll be removing my optical drive, I'd like to make a bootable USB drive for Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, so that I can install them on Bootcamp partition later on.

How can I make a bootable USB (Win 7) on OS X?

I've seen a couple of tutorials for making a bootable USB drive while in Windows, and even that required Windows 7 64-bit INSTALLED in order to be able to make a bootable 64-bit version. The problem is I currently have 32-bit installed in my Bootcamp.

2. weckart macrumors 68040

Bootcamp will install Windows from an ISO image, so no bootable usb is needed.

3. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

4. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Btw, will Bootcamp install Windows from ISO onto a HDD in Optibay in the same way too?

5. CanadianGuy macrumors member

CanadianGuy

Similar problems

I've got a late 2011 MacBook Pro, with an OWC SSD in the main drive bay, and the original HD in the optical bay using the OWC data doubler.

I have a legit version of Windows 7 Pro, bought from Best Buy so it's a physical DVD.

Using an external DVD drive, to access the DVD. But it just will not seem to install.

The system attempts to boot the DVD, then gives me a black screen with just the flashing cursor. Read somewhere online it can take a few minutes. Left it for hours while out, came back, still just a flashing cursor.

Any ideas?

If I solve it, I'll come back and post the solution here.

Thanks.

6. jamesr19 macrumors 6502

Try it with a Bootable USB. Microsoft offer the tool for download (although I think it needs to be run on windows machine to work, but you can easily do this under a vm) (http://www.informationweek.com/byte/howto/personal-tech/storage-memory/231000246)

Alternatively, using diskutil (in terminal) you could mark the optibay drive as the primary disk and see if that helps...

7. johndoo macrumors newbie

Hi CanadianGuy,

I have the same problem.. a late 2011 MacBook Pro, with an OCZ SSD in the main drive bay, and the original HD in the optical bay using the OWC data doubler.

And when I try to install windows 7 with bootcamp and an external DVD I've got black screen..

Please let me know if you find a solution..