How to make a bootable windows 7 USB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pgeske, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Pgeske macrumors newbie

I am trying to create bootable USB to install windows 7 on my 100gig windows partition (on my macbook pro). I've tried multiple methods. For example, i've done the method that involves terminal with the dd if=path to iso of=/dev/diskN bs=1m (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/How to install Ubuntu on MacBook using USB Stick), and i have also used software that does that automatically instead of manually. i have managed to prepare the iso's contents onto the usb this way without problems, but when i boot my computer holding alt, the usb doesn't appear as one of the boot options. it seems as if all the tutorials i have looked at just expect the usb drive to appear as a boot option when you restart your mac while holding the alt key, yet that hasn't been the case for me. In addition, i looked at bootcamp assistant's "Create a Windows 7 install disk" feature, but i am unable to check it off.

In sum, i have a 8gig usb drive and a windows 7 iso. All I want is to use the usb to install windows 7 onto one of my partitions, no more, no less. Please help!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

AFAIK, only the macbook air will accept to boot from USB to install windows, all other Mac models require the use of a DVD, probably some firmware lockdown by Apple.

If you'd search the forum, you'd see that a thread popped up with countless people trying--and failing-- to do what you're trying to do.