How to make a DVD from Power Point?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Chris7, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Chris7 macrumors 6502

Hello. I am wondering how to make a back up DVD of an animated Power Point that includes sound. I have heard of a program used to record what plays on a screen that it is used when making video editing tutorials or to record the action of computer games (I think the software is installed on the same computer that is playing the video game or whatever). Anyone know what programs might do this? Another route would be to play the Power Point on a monitor with an HDMI out (or DVI out?) that would output what is playing on the screen, , and record it on my HF100 (I need to check how the inputs work on this camera). Also, I have Final Cut Studio if this helps.

Apparently, following the directions on lynda.com for how to make a DVD of a Power Point does not work with presentations that include animations (explained below).

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

My Fiancé has made a Power Point presentation with sound and animations. She followed the instructions on Lynda.com (http://www.lynda.com/home/DisplayCourse.aspx?lpk2=559 “Creating Power Point Movies”) to make a back up DVD, but the animations do not work. She later found this article that says, basically animations do not work when using this workflow here http://www.articleclick.com/Article/5-ways-to-convert-PowerPoint-presentation-to-video/1048109

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

PowerPoint allows presentations to be saved as QuickTime videos.
    iDVD allows the user to convert QuickTime video to DVD.
    Am I missing something?

3. xStep macrumors 68000

Most screen capture programs can create a video for you. Some are; SnapzPro X, ScreenFlow, iShowU, Screenflick.

You could try importing the PP file into Apple's Keynote, if you haven't sucked up your trial license, and export the presentation to a QuickTime movie.

4. Chris7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Which of the screen capture programs would you suggest? I’d like to get one anyway. For now I’ll try the keynote route, and post again tomorrow to let you know how it worked.
    Thanks,
    Chris

Thanks, but this is the workflow suggested by the lynda.com tutorial and it turns out it does not show the animations. The problem of it not showing the animations is noted in the second link above (read after she tried it). Any suggestions appreciated.

5. xStep macrumors 68000

I have SnapzPro, but can't recommend it over the others due to lack of experience. SP is the old one out of them all and it shows. I got my copy cheap but if I was to try something new I'd first look at ScreenFlow because it seems to have some very nice features.

6. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

ScreenFlow is definitely the best. You can even see it being used in some of Apple's videos. HD, text and audio effects, easy to use...it's great.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

ScreenFlow, although a bit pricey at $99, is well worth the price. iShowU and Snapz Pro X both screw over the CPU and iShowU sometimes outputs blurry footage. ScreenFlow is crystal clear, and everything seems stable.

8. Chris7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I ordered ScreenFlow today (the physical, not download version). Does anyone know of some video tutorials I can be watching to learn the program quickly? (lynda.com doesn't have any).
    -Chris