How to make a folder invisible?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by timmyb, Nov 11, 2007.

1. timmyb macrumors 6502

Is there a (relatively) simple way to make a folder hidden, without having to resort to 3rd party apps? I'm getting frustrated by the "Microsoft User Data" folder in my Documents folder, which won't move whatever I try.

I've no idea if this topic has already been posted on, but when using the new (so-called improved :rolleyes:) search function, not a single entry came up despite searching pretty broad terms, ("hide folder", "invisible" etc etc.)

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

3. REBELinBLUE macrumors regular

That won't really work because if you rename the folder to add a . to the beginning Office will just recreate it.

The only way I know how to do it is to install the developer tools and use the SetFile command from the terminal

Code:
    /Developer/Tools/SetFile -a V ~/Documents/Microsoft\ User\ Data
    Should work. You might need to restart finder but I don't think so

4. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

I am trying to make my Windows Vista bootcamp partition hidden. I tried to follow the guide but it doesn't seem to work. Is this even possible? Thank you.:confused:

5. REBELinBLUE macrumors regular

That is quite a bit more difficult, the only way I found was to modify one of the scripts that is run at startup to call diskutil and unmount the partition

6. timmyb thread starter macrumors 6502

Tried using the ".Micro...." renaming and all was fine, including when I used Word/PowerPoint, but after running MSN it's back. Think i'll just have to learn to live with it. :(

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It is possible, when in windows rename the drive to have a full stop at the beginning.

I have a few apps that like to put crap there, very annoying so what I did was create a folder called Documents inside the Documents folder and then replaced the sidebar folder with this one, problem solved.