How to make a home screen icon that immediately displays an image file?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bollweevil, Jun 9, 2011.

1. bollweevil macrumors 6502

I am getting tired of explaining how to spell my last name. I want a button on my iPhone's home screen, and when I tap it, the iPhone's entire screen immediately fills with an image file containing my name in high-contrast block letters.

Unsatisfactory Hack Idea 1: Make the .gif of my name, upload it to the iPhone using iTunes/iPhoto "photo albums". Pro: The image is stored locally. Con: I need to click on "Photo Roll", then browse to the proper photo. I might as well just say it out loud.

Unsatisfactory Hack Idea 2: Make the .gif of my name, upload it to my website, bookmark the URL and put the bookmark on the home screen. Pro: One tap only. Con: The image is not stored locally, so it needs to load, and it might not load without connectivity. I might as well just say it out loud.

Please help me, I'm dying here.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Learn to program, write an app that does this, pay Apple $99 a year and keep a testing/developer copy on your phone?

3. rootyb macrumors member

4. vultureboy macrumors member

vultureboy

Easiest way I can think of is to make the image on your computer. Upload it to photobucket, flickr or some other photo hosting source. Find the image in safari on your phone and put a home screen bookmark to it.

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

if i ever asked someone how to spell their name and they flash me a pic instead of saying it, i would spell it wrong on purpose

6. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

7. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

What if they have a speech impediment, a very heavy foreign accent, or an extremely hard to spell last name? Don't assume.

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

fair enough it just seems very smug,

9. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

10. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

Plot twist:

It's actually not my last name, my last name is a real English word spelled the normal way. However, I do not want to explain what the image is, nor do I wish to explain why I need fast access to it. Throw around wild theories if you wish, I suspect that would be entertaining.

The "last name" ruse seemed like an easy way to communicate exactly what I am looking for. Another lie I considered was "I just had a baby, I want to show the baby to everybody."

Or, I could have just told the cryptic truth from the beginning, and the entire thread would have consisted of people not understanding what I wanted and not understanding why I need to do this.

I stand by my slightly misleading original post.

11. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

It would be super easy to write an app to do this, but I think you'd need the $99 dev account.

12. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

I call 'pic of penis'! ;)

i suppose you could use any drawing / photo editing app. Most of them show the pic you last opened even when there's no longer a save state.

13. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

Ooo, that's a damn good idea!

As for the penis pic, why not just whip it out in reality? I prefer to do that, otherwise they usually think it is photoshopped. Also, the iPhone screen really isn't big enough to do it justice.

14. openendstraight macrumors regular

openendstraight

You mean the digital zoom is not sufficient to see it clearly.

15. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

This curiosity is killing me, what's the name you speak of! :mad:

16. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Get an Android phone, sign up for Google App Inventor, and make the app for yourself in a few minutes.

I normally wouldn't say something like that, but I can't believe how Apple has come down so far from the days of Hypercard and allowing everyone to easily make apps.

Grrr. :)

17. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Apparently, it's not a name: