how to make a indie film making blog successful?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by salacious, Jun 7, 2012.

1. salacious macrumors 6502a

so i made one blog already which is crap, i knew that when i put it out, but i did so to get feedback on what could be improved.

so what i ask of you is this, what would you like to see, as an amatuer or professional in a blog.

so to make it simplier what would be your top 5 things would you want to see in a blog so that you would watch it and look forward to the next episode?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

How many indie film making blogs are there? What draws you to those blogs? If you know then what you need to do is find something even better than that.

I googled indie film making and found that a few sites give you how-tos which is good but you'll need to do something slightly more unique to get the traffic away from them. Think of MacRumors. Other sites have tried to form mac communities and had some success but MacRumors has a member base and that is what is important.

I can't really answer your question with 5 specific things but I can say if you're not offering me anything more than what a well-established blog is already offering me, chances are I'll forget the site and just not return. Good luck to you, I think there is room for another blog like that based on a minimal google search but I could be wrong. It happens.

3. Babybandit macrumors regular

Perhaps it's just me. But I believe you shouldn't ask "What do you want to see?". I think that's the wrong spirit to go at things. It's like filmmaking really. Many Avant-Garde filmmakers aren't asking "What does my audience want to watch", they ask "What do I want to see?". They might go on failing several times before there's a success. But at some point, some will get there.

I want to see the production process and thought process of an amazing short. Now, everyone will rush to do that. And the competition would be huge. How would you differentiate from another persons? Therefore try and blog what YOU want to read. After all, You're a filmmaker yourself.

Perhaps you can show us your existing blog, and we can try to find issues with it? I would continue with the blog simply because you'll not only keep your existing audiences, but it'll show your own development as a filmmaker. Which I'm always interested in seeing.

An alternative to ask is : What don't you want to see? Read other filmmaking blogs. What irritates you? Why? Others might feel the same. And you can improve on that.