how to make a open VPN connection with Vicscocity v.1.6.8?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by michel52, Mar 31, 2017.

1. michel52, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017

michel52 macrumors member

michel52

hello guy's
    i want to install a open VPN Wifi-connection with Viscosity on my iMac (late 2009)
    but i don't know how to do it, can anybody help me please?

https://www.sparklabs.com/viscosity/

thanks!
    :)

2. Idgit macrumors 6502

Idgit

Are you trying to set up a VPN server on your Mac so you can connect to it when you're away from home? Or, do you want to protect the internet connection of your iMac using a VPN client such as Viscosity?

3. michel52 thread starter macrumors member

michel52

i want to setup the second choise, to protect the internet connection of my iMac using a VPN client with Viscosity ....
    do you know how to install it?

4. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

Installing Viscosity is just like installing any other Mac program. What you need is an OpenVPN server to connect to, and the configuration files/certificates from that server so you can set up the connection in the Viscosity client. There are quite a few services offering VPN service for a fee. Private Internet Access is one I like, and VPNSecure is another. PIA is probably the better and more flexible, with almost 500 servers around the world to connect to. I have Viscosity on my MBP set up with PIA connections, and also use the OpenVPN client app on my iPhone for the same thing.

5. Idgit macrumors 6502

Idgit

As HenryAZ said, try a subscription to PIA (Private Internet Access). I've used them before and they're excellent. You can use their macOS and iOS VPN clients or you can use Viscosity on your Mac but you'll have to download the OpenVPN config files from the PIA website.

6. michel52 thread starter macrumors member

michel52

thank you all for your help but i have already another solution, i use now "Tor" webbrowser and that is working excellent!

7. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

I prefer Viscosity on a Mac, with the downloaded OpenVPN config files from PIA. I do not really care for the PIA app either on the Mac or iOS. On iOS, I use the free OpenVPN app, and just import the config files to it during an iTunes sync.