How to make a router hidden?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by guitargoddsjm, Aug 31, 2009.

1. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

Hey all, I'm not positive that this is the right forum, but it is a networking related questions, so here goes...

I'm a freshman at Georgia Tech, and I was looking to put a wireless network in our room. Although we do have wireless internet available in the dorms, the connections are spotty and slow sometimes, but the big thing is that my room mate and I both have iPhone apps that need to sync over the same network as our Macs. In addition to this, we both have wireless printers that we've been sharing over the network.

Now, GT does allow routers, just not wireless networks. We originally tried to disable SSID broadcasting but we ran into problems, as the computers didn't automatically connect to the dorm network when we were inside the room. We then tried disguising the name as "T-Mobile Hotspot," as there is an At&t hotspot that shows up nearby.

During one of the IT department's routine inspections, they figured out we had a wireless network and set us an email about it. I'm not sure how they figured it out though...

Is there any way I can get around this? Like I said, it would make the usage of certain iPhone apps impossible and we'd have to run ethernet cables throughout the entire dorm to network the computers & printers.

The router is a Linksys WRT320N, if that helps

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It's not going to be possible. If they scan for wireless networks, they will find it again.

Thinking more about it - you might be able to install DD-WRT on it and turn the xmit power down enough that it barely covers your room. With that and a non-broadcasting SSID, you might be in business.

3. CTJoyce macrumors member

Your best overall bet may be go to the Campus IT department and see what can be done about this as you have specific needs. They may have a policy in place that would allow it, however require a certain level of encryption.

As far as totally and completely hiding your network, no there is no actual way this can be done (If its sending a signal it can be found). r.j.s has a good idea so long as they just do a quick sweep, and don't spend too much time lingering in front of your door.

Cheers
    Cameron

4. Donar macrumors 6502

Donar

They probably walked around with a "network stumbler" e.g. KisMac and...
    a) received the signal from your wireless router, it's not broadcasting it's name when hidden but all other necessary signals.
    b) received a signal with the SSID telling "T-Mobile" but the signal beeing too strong.

5. guitargoddsjm thread starter macrumors 6502

As they already know about the existence of the network, this may be the best bet, and see if they can help at all. I mean, if we absolutely HAVE to, we could wire the printers and use Ad-hoc for the iPhone apps, it just won't work as smoothly