How to make a shared partition for bootcamp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lambros, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Lambros macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Hey! So if I have 10.6 installed and want to install Windows on a Mac, how can I create a 3rd (shared) FAT32 partition without reformatting the hard drive? I know how to without reformatting, but is there any way to just split my current partition into 2? I know how to do this on Windows, that is by shrinking the partition, but is there any similar function on a Mac so I don't lost existing files?

Thanks!

2. Lyshen macrumors 6502

You're question is a little confusing. You're asking to install without reformating however you say you know how to without reformating.

You want to install Windows onto the Mac, just use Boot Camp Assistant. Although I'd guess you know about that.

So how is your current setup?

3. Lambros thread starter macrumors regular

What I mean is: if I have only 10.6 installed, and want to install Windows 7, then I must use bootcamp if I want it on a separate partition. But, how can I create a partition for both for music, videos, etc? I know how to do this in Windows, but need to do it in Mac. Any idea how I can split the Mac partition into two without installing any operating system on it, ie so it is shared?

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You can use Disk Utility to do so. It's in Applications -> Utilities

5. Lambros thread starter macrumors regular

But then won't I have to format the whole hard drive?

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You shouldn't. I can partition mine without reformatting, simply click on the disk itself (not macintosh HD), the go to partition. Drag it to a smaller size and format the now free space to FAT32

7. Lambros thread starter macrumors regular

8. artavand macrumors newbie

Same Problem with X OS 10.7 Lion

This answer is correct for iOS 10.6 but for iOS 10.7 (Lion) when I make the shared partition in iUtility, the bootcamp partition removes automatically and changes to unallocated space! please tell me what is your solution for this problem in iOS 10.7 (Lion)