How to make a splash screen (ios 5) Xcode 4.4

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by daproject85, Sep 27, 2012.

1. daproject85 macrumors member

Hi Forum,

I was wondering if anyone can show me the RIGHT way to make and control a splash screen?

I have read a few places about doing it in the appdelegate and other say make a file called Default@2x.png..

I appreciate the help

2. Ides macrumors member

If you want an image that appears each time you start the app, then you just need an image in your project called Default.png (also Default@2x.png).

You should know that Apple says that technically splash screens aren't allowed and that Default.png should be an image that simply shows all of the static parts of your app, i.e. an empty tableview. But they don't seem to enforce this rule at all, so I wouldn't worry about it.

3. daproject85 thread starter macrumors member

And What's the best way to apply effects to it. Like fading or controlling how long it lasts, or making it go away when ever you are done retrieving data

4. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Have it be on your root view of your storyboard when it first appears, then animate it away. You might use [UIView animationWithDuration:1.0 animations:^...] with an alpha slide to zero on your image to make it fade out, for example.

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

You shouldn't worry about how long it lasts. Why would you want to delay your users from using your app? Apple recommends you try to get your app to launch as fast as possible.

Oh, and if your app is retrieving data on launch, you should see if you can do that in the background.

6. Reason077 macrumors 68000

Reason077

Back in the days when iPhones were slower and apps often took quite a few seconds to load, it sort of made sense to use Default.png as a splash screen. You couldn't do much about reducing loading time so it was ok to use that time for branding.

Now days with the fast new models like the 4S and (especially) the 5, most apps load virtually instantly - so Default.png isn't really displayed for any meaningful amount of time. It's a bad idea to put any kind of splash graphics in it now - it should just contain the "shell" of your UI and nothing more.