How to make an AT&T 4s work without sim

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Quartni, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Quartni macrumors newbie

I sold an iphone 4s to someone in Bolivia. He was not supposed to be able to bid on the item from overseas but he found a way around. In the effort of being nice, I told him I would sell him the phone but could not ensure it would work and that it was unlocked for AT&T. So now, he's got the phone and of course it doesn't work and sim cards are not available there. Can I just send him an inactive Sim? If so, will he be able to get service on the phone with the sim in it?
    If this won't work will jail breaking it work? Any advice or links for how to's would be greatly appreciated. :eek:

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I dont know why you bother helping him out.
    He's obviously clueless and bought an AT&T locked iphone where he wasnt supposed to and now is stuck.
    If you send him any AT&T sim he will be able to activate the phone and use it as an ipod touch. Use apps, wifi for internet etc.. But it wont accept any other carriers sim cards still. Have him purchase an IMEI unlock from ebay.
    Then the phone will be factory unlocked and it will activate with any sim card and he will be able to use it as a phone.
    Tell him to search on ebay for iphone imei unlock.

3. Quartni thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Applejuiced

IDK why I am helping him either. All this **** was listed in the eBay description and I had it set to only accept bids from US buyers. I guess he has his location different in his settings. He's not being rude about it. I have copies of all my emails to him where I told him this would happen. Thanks for the advice about the unlock. I will direct him to do that. I really don't want him to have my sim that is associated with my account. Bolivia has a freaking airline embargo or something goofy so I had to fill out all this paperwork to avoid a tariff of $500. Anyway, thanks again.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    What a pain auction.
    But yes once he gets it IMEI unlocked he'd be good to go.
    The phone will be unlocked and stay unlocked no matter if he restores or upgrades the firmware.
    Best bet IMO.

5. apollo1444, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012

apollo1444 macrumors 65816

at least give him a clue about the IMEI unlock, that would be cool, lol poor dude

6. Quartni thread starter macrumors newbie

I did tell him about the unlock

I passed along the info about the unlock. I wouldn't be an arse like that. I'm trying to help the guy as much as possible; I hate that he paid $700 and waited a month for shipping and can't use it. All of this could have been avoided if he would have read the auction. I wasn't discreet about any of the information. AT&Twas in the headline as well as the description. He was cool with me so I am co operating in the interest of World Peace. Thanks for all of the help again!

7. MarcuMcall macrumors newbie