How to make an offline 10.8 installer on USB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jamestj, Sep 21, 2012.

1. jamestj macrumors newbie

I am just bought a Retina MBP with 10.8 pre-installed, the problem is when I want to do a fresh OS re-install, I use the default install mechanism by press the CMD+R during the boot and select online install, but it take me more than 12 hours to download and still not finished yet.
    I understand this might due to the poor network speed and also apple does not built-in a good multi-thread download mechanism.
    I am start think about the possibility of use some download tools to download the MacOS10.8 offline and then build a 10.8 installer on USB, then use the USB to install the OS.

My question is: How can I find the original install dmg file? There are some article in the internet says you can download it from app-store. So I log-in into the app-store, click the OSX10.8. It's seems the app-store does not recognise I am already a legal user for the 10.8 and still ask me to pay for it.
    Anyother way instead of keep waiting for another 24 hours?

Thanks!

2. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

AFAIK, if your computer was shipped with Mountain Lion, the only proper way to reinstall the OS is to download using internet recovery (Command+R).

Mine was shipped with Lion, so Apple gave me a code to download ML from the App Store meaning I was able to create a USB.

I guess if you have a 'friend' that will let you download their copy of the OS.