How to make an SSD my main drive.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Silmarien, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Silmarien macrumors member

I just got a Crucial M4 256GB for my 2012 15" cMBP. I have no idea how to proceed though. I have also bought a superdrive enclosure and caddy since I will be putting my HDD there. Could someone guide me through it? Or point me to the right direction? I have tried to keep up with the guides but I am not sure which is best. I have read about Carbon Copy Cloner but also have read that its better to reinstall ML because of the way data is stored in HDD that wont work as good on the SSD and then migrating the files. Any help will be appreciated.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Here's a simple approach:
    1. Buy an external enclosure and put your old drive in it.
    2. Install your new drive in your Mac.
    3. Boot from your old (external) drive by holding the Option key on startup.
    4. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the old (external) drive to the new (internal) drive.
    5. Boot from the new internal drive.
    6. Your now running on your new internal drive and your old drive is now an external drive, useful for backups or additional storage.

4. Silmarien thread starter macrumors member

Thank you both for your answers! I didnt quite get simsaladimbambas' method though. Is that another way instead of using Carbon Copy Cloner?

About these steps, would it be possible instead of booting from and external enclosure to boot from the HDD in the optibay?

5. bigboar macrumors 6502

i went the external enclosure route. I formatted my new drive using disk utility before using CCC. I don't know if you have to though...

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes.