How to make application install window- customized

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Monaj, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Monaj macrumors regular

Hi all,

Generally to distribute a simple cocoa application we make dmg of its release folder. When we double click on it, it mounts its image and displays an un-editable window with .app and/or other files, such dSYM, contained within it. Right now the un-editable window appears with white background and icons of files within it.

My requirement is:

Can anyone suggest how can I implement it?

Thanks,

Monaj

2. Hansr macrumors 6502a

Create a read/write enabled dmg, set it up like you want it to look, load the app and then convert it to a compressed read only dmg.

3. Monaj thread starter macrumors regular

Thanx it is an easy trick to implement :)

4. Monaj thread starter macrumors regular

After implementing it I transferred the dmg created to other macs. Although it is showing background image as required in the mac it is created but it is not showing the image on other macs.

Can you offer some solution for it?

Thanks,

Monaj

5. Hansr macrumors 6502a

I seem to remember reading something about a 10.5 vs 10.6 issue wrt background images.

Did you set the image to invisible on the disk or put it in a .folder folder?

6. Monaj thread starter macrumors regular

none of the above!

7. Hansr macrumors 6502a

Ach that's the problem then. You need to embed the picture in the disk image for it to transfer over. I'll post a quick tutorial after work tonight, ~10PM GMT+1

8. Peter Maurer macrumors member

If you do this regularly, I'd suggest getting DMG Canvas (my current favorite for creating release DMGs), DropDMG, or a similar utility. The few bucks you have to spend on those will be easily outweighed by the amount of time you'll save.