Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IRumor123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2011
Do you know any websites or apps that can help you make a
app for the app store?

iAAPL

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
Wisconsin
I just started writing my own apps this year. I had no prior experience. I'm a professional by no means, but I think I can give you a few tips to get started.

First, understand that this isn't something where you can just watch a few YouTube videos and be an expert overnight. It will likely take a few months, maybe less if you are really determined. There's a reason why there are 'only' 50k developers in the App Store, when there are 150m iOS users.

If you're still up for it, I started by reading "Programming in Objective-C 2.0" by Stephen Kochan. It's going to bore your brains out, but you just have to keep reading. Fortunately I was doing it as a self development project for school, and had no choice to stop.

AFTER you read the book, go to iTunesU and start watching Stanford's iOS Development course. DO NOT watch the course with no programming knowledge. Copying what someone else does and getting it into the App Store is not programming, and you will never do anything creative.

Good luck!

Last edited:

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
For certain very limited types of apps, there are point-and-click iPhone app-builder websites. buzztouch is one example, and it even appears to create native apps for free.

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
For certain very limited types of apps, there are point-and-click iPhone app-builder websites. buzztouch is one example, and it even appears to create native apps for free.

To the OP - if getting an app in the store is your objective then, yes, 'magical' sites like these will probably do that for you. The trouble is, they tend to produce very generic, 'cookie cutter' type apps which will not be distinctive or innovative in any way. So they won't make you any money. But hey, you'll have an app in the store!

Take the advice from a few posts up. Stephen Kochan's book is very good and has helped me enormously. iTunes U is also another good resource.

Take your time to study and learn and you'll produce something to be proud of, I'm sure.

RTP.

fernandovalente

macrumors 6502
With great books, you will be writing apps in no time. It toke less than a month to me to be able to write my first Objective-C app. I wasn't that good at the first month(my apps weren't buggy, but I didn't know much about Objective-C), but the more I coded, the I got much better.

I know sometimes you want a website for learning how to program. When I was trying to learn Objective-C, I didn't wanna read a book, but I ended up doing it. It's surely the BEST way to get started.

If you don't know programming logical, C and OOP, try this book:

http://cocoabook.com/

If you do, try this one:

http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-Progra...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1304954219&sr=8-1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.