How to make colors pop on Macbook screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by radiologyman, Oct 24, 2015.

1. radiologyman, Oct 24, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2015

radiologyman macrumors 6502

I really like retina screen on Macbook 12 but colors are very subdued, even after using OS X built in color calibration in the display menu. However, when I use VLC I can get neon bright colors in the video window using advanced controls that VLC provides. Any way to do it in OS X?

2. jerwin macrumors 65816

Are you using the advanced color calibration--hold down the option key while pressing "calibrate". Perhaps changing the gamma setting will give results more to your liking. I'm assuming that you don't have to publish, or worse, print anything that depends on accurate color.

3. radiologyman thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah done that. I don't need accurate display but I would like more control over color or contrast that this allows

4. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

Not on my Mac atm but you can boost saturation in accessibility panel in system prefs.

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The "expert mode" calibration in Displays gives you a lot of leeway. If you really do want over-saturated colors, then it will let you do that.
    Just so you're on the same page - there's 8 screens of adjustments in the Expert Mode calibration. Is that what you have tried?

6. radiologyman thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I went through 8 screens in expert mode. And accessibility does give greater control over contrast but not over color on my macbook 12 with El Cap.

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

So - you go through those 8 screens, avoiding the "correct", or suggested settings, and change them to what you think you like. You can do that calibration multiple times, saving each with different color settings.
    Try to emulate those super-bright colors that VLC gives you (which is a movie (video) setting, and not really presentable with a static desktop image - at least in my opinion. But, then you like what you like, eh?

Surely there will be a calibration set that represents your best ideas (disregarding accurate color, too!)
    That's your answer.

8. radiologyman thread starter macrumors 6502

I know that Apple colors are correct but I came from 3 consecutive Sony Z laptops with full color gamut, where boosting colors will give perception of higher contrast, same as on my OLED TV. I don't like increasing contrast itself as it introduces lot of problems.