How to make custom "New Mail" alert on iPhone 3g?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by MyAwesomeBlog, Jul 29, 2008.

1. MyAwesomeBlog macrumors newbie

I'm trying to change the iPhone "new mail" alert to the AOL You've Got Mail sound from the 90's. I've managed to find the sound file and successfully convert it to a ringtone on the iPhone.

But... it seems there are no options to customize the alert sounds.

Has anyone had luck in this area? Here's where the ringtone can be found:

http://drop.io/ehvv0gl

2. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Most customising of the iPhone requires that you jailbreak it, then you can explore the file structure and replace (for example) the mail sound file with a different sound file.

3. CyberGreg macrumors regular

I converted your file to an AIF file format and then renamed it. It is ready to be placed on your iPhone once you jailbreak it (unzip it first).

The file is stored in this folder:
    /System/Library/Audio/UISounds/

I use the female talking alerts on my iPhone for all three, voicemail, text message and email.
    :cool:

Attached Files:

4. mansriot macrumors newbie

Hi, can you explain this?

Hello, I'm using a jailbroken 3g iphone, and have a handful of audio files in the m4r format (ringtones), but need to get them into .caf in order to rename them to replace system audio files.

so for example, i too wanted to replace the "new-mail.caf" file
    i found the ringtone in it's original format (wav) and used itunes to convert it to aac. i then renamed it to caf, to no avail.
    i tried to find a converter to AIF but had no luck. i got my hands on a copy of river past's audio converter but it would only crash during the conversion.
    so i haven't been able to get my wav file to AIF, to try renaming it to caf.

so i guess the point of all this is, can you explain how you "converted your file to an AIF file format" so that I can do it, too.

the file i was attempting to use is http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Show/3961/trek.html

worf.wav

Thanks in advance,
    J.

5. Pimptastic macrumors regular

Pimptastic

Would you mind sharing those, i like the idea of that!

6. mansriot macrumors newbie

Problem solved

Ok, this morning i went poking around the forums and found a similar article ( http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=563116&highlight=create+caf ) which described how to get the .caf file made using a converter (that isn't a total POS)

So for anyone who would like to know what I did:

winscp to transfer files to my iphone from windows
    securessh on the iphone to receive files from windows

the converter software from the linked post is at http://www.nch.com.au/switch/plus.html

i took worf.wav, converted it to worf.aif
    i removed the original file from the iphone, transferred over worf.aif and renamed it to new-mail.caf and restarted the iphone

Good Luck!

7. dnguillory macrumors newbie

I have done the file rename and transfer using ssh. It shows in my iphone system directory. I still get the old sound when I get an email. How do I make it actually work on the phone?
    Thanks

8. dnguillory macrumors newbie

Now I have no sound on email. I edited the "new-mail.caf" file in WinSCP back to "caff". I get no sound when I get an email. Please help.

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Did you rename it exactly as the original file? A restart may be required.