How to make delete button work?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Loyalty4Life, May 6, 2007.

1. Loyalty4Life macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I am using a Mac 10.4 system and would like to know how I can use the delete button correctly? I'm not using a Mac keyboard, and I just want to be able to select various items from the desktop, finder, etc and delete it with pressing the button instead of right clicking everything and sending it to the trash.

Any help is great. Many thanks.

2. Richard Flynn macrumors regular

Try pressing cmd + delete (or whatever equivalent you have for the cmd/Apple key—on Windows keyboards this is the Windows key).

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

you can not just highlight something and hit delete, it's a failsafe. You can use the above trick, or you can customize the finder to have a delete button on the menu bar of any finder window. --> View-customize toolbar. If I remember right.

4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Firstly, that isn't the "correct" way - that's just the way Windows does it. Mac OS is different.

Secondly... what's wrong with dragging the stuff to the trash? Surely you're already using your mouse to select the items.

EDIT: Thinking about this more, I'm not really understanding your situation. Perhaps you are unaware of how to select multiple items? Hold down shift when clicking or dragging over items... like this:

Picture 1.png

Then you can drag them all to the trash or right click and move them all to the trash in one step.

5. Loyalty4Life thread starter macrumors regular

I know how to use shift to select multiple things. I was not aware of the command + delete button. I will give that a shot. Thanks for the replies.