how to make ethernet connection to time capsule?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iMaxMac, Aug 17, 2011.

1. iMaxMac macrumors newbie

i've switched to lion. now my time machine/capsule wants to make a full new backup. it says that it will take 10!!! days. to shorten this time i'm trying to make a direct ethernet connection between my iMac and my time capsule.

i've connected the ethernet cable to my iMac and one of the three ethernet ports on the time capsule. i've also make sure that in system prefs/network, the ethernet connection gets priority over wifi. the status window shows that ethernet (and wifi) are connected (shows green dot).

now, when i try to start a backup it still uses the wifi connection instead of ethernet. when i turn off wifi and try to start backup, time machine cannot find the backup disk. when i go to 'select disk' in time machine it looks for wifi attached devices and does not use the ethernet connection at all.

what have i done wrong?

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Sorry but you have not provided enough information. Are you using your Time Capsule as a router? If not, how have you connected your Time Capsule to your network?

Using TC as a router:
    Connect wan port to cable/dsl modem
    Connect at least 1 ethernet port to an ethernet switch unless you have less than 3 devices in which case all can connect directly to the TC
    In Airport Utility, set TC up as a router and set it to "create a wireless network"

You can connect wirelessly to the TC or wired if you switch off Airport on any Mac and connect ethernet to either your switch or a non Wan port on your TC.

Using TC as a NAS:
    Connect wan port to your ethernet switch
    Connect your Macs to the ethernet switch
    In Airport Utility, set TC up as NAS by turning off wireless, etc.

The TC should show up in finder in the "shared" (network) area. If not, click "all" to show all the servers Finder can see on your network.

This is what I do. I have an AEBS I use as a router and my TC is simply set up as a NAS server.