How to make Ext USB drive bootable?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by garycurtis, Apr 30, 2014.

1. garycurtis macrumors 6502

I use SuperDuper to back up to a partitioned 2Tb USB 3 drive. How can I make this a bootable drive? The system is already on the drive. Is it a question of configuring something in Disk Utility, or do I pay attention to the Get Info Permissions options?

running Mavericks on a late 2013 iMac.

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

I used to use SuperDuper and seem to remember that you could set it up to create a bootable backup.

Failing that, in Disk Utility, make sure the external drive, when partitioned, is formatted to GUID. This will make the drive bootable.

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I'm guessing you mean how do you boot to it - it's probably already "Bootable".

To boot to a different drive, hold down the Option (Alt) key while starting up.

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

If I want to make a drive bootable, the first step I take is to look at it in Disk Utility. If it's not already partitioned, I create a single partition scheme, GUID partition table (under options), HFS+ Journaled. I never pick case sensitive.

I do this routinely when upgrading HDD or installing an SSD in any Mac. First I create a bootable empty drive, then I either clone using CCC or install the OS and migrate from the old drive to the new one during the install. Lastly I test booting to the new drive before opening the case to put it in. Sometimes this requires holding option while booting and picking the new drive.

5. garycurtis thread starter macrumors 6502

My drive is unfortantely (or maybe not) already partitioned. And I have never seen the GUID protocol mentioned as an option in Disk Utility.

How can I get this train back on the tracks?

I will,however try Carbon Copy Cloner and move over my System from my main HD.

thanks

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You are fine. Unless you specifically went into options in Disk Util and changed the partition to something other than GUID, it will be the default GUID.

If you just fired up SD and used the default options below, you have a bootable clone.

[​IMG]

Like FreakinEurekan mentioned, just hold the option key at boot and select the SD drive to boot from it as a test.

7. garycurtis thread starter macrumors 6502

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

9. garycurtis thread starter macrumors 6502

10. chown33 macrumors 604

Post your complete output. Diagnosing descriptions is difficult.

You can drag-select the text in the Terminal window, then command-C to copy to clipboard. Paste it and post it.

11. garycurtis thread starter macrumors 6502

Sure. Here is what I came up with. I can't boot on 2Tb drive. And, on the 500Gb drive, I can't log on to the AP Store. It does boot, however.

Macintosh-6:~ garycurtis$ diskutil list
    /dev/disk0
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk0
    1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 999.3 GB disk0s2
    3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3
    /dev/disk1
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *2.0 TB disk1
    1: EFI EFI 314.6 MB disk1s1
    2: Apple_HFS 2Tb overflow 1.5 TB disk1s2
    3: Apple_HFS 2Tb Backup 484.4 GB disk1s3
    /dev/disk2
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk2
    1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk2s1
    2: Apple_HFS Boot Disk 199.0 GB disk2s2
    3: Apple_HFS 300 Gb Drive 300.6 GB disk2s3
    Macintosh-6:~ garycurtis$

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

This looks fine and should work. All I can think of is you did not copy the OS over properly with SD. Try doing it again with either CCC or Disk Utility.

13. Fishrrman macrumors G3

The OP asks:
    [[ I use SuperDuper to back up to a partitioned 2Tb USB 3 drive. How can I make this a bootable drive? ]]

The answer could not be more simple.

Use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to create a cloned backup on one of the partitions of the USB drive (preferably the "first" partition).

Then, boot from it by doing this:
    - Restart
    - Hold down the option key when the startup sound occurs, and keep holding it down until the startup manager appears
    - Select the external partition with the pointer, and hit return

Works for me on pre-packaged USB drives, on home-built USB drives, on USB/SATA docked drives, and on USB flash drives...

14. garycurtis, May 2, 2014
    Last edited: May 2, 2014

garycurtis thread starter macrumors 6502

Failed yet again.

Disk was reformatted and then partitioned in 2.
    In the Info dialogue box I clicked the "Ignore Owernship" box
    CopyCloner transferred my entire HD to the ext drive.

It won't boot up on that drive. And because it won't boot, I cannot access the AP Store to either get OS updates or download the complete Mavericks OS should I need it.

I tried the same process with Migration Assistant last night. The terminology get confusing. It kept talking about a transfer from one computet to another. All I want is an exchange between main HD and an ext HD.

Another oddity. Holding down the Option key at startup doesn't bring up the Start Disk choices.
    And even further, why doesn't Disk Tools utility allow me to Fix Permissions on this recently formatted drive? Should I career?

Arghhh!

Arghh.

15. Fishrrman macrumors G3

garycurtis wrote above:
    [[ It won't boot up on that drive. ]]

Be aware that -some- external USB drives are incapable of booting the Mac.
    This is NOT a problem with software - rather, it's a problem with the controller board on the drive enclosure itself.

Who is the manufacturer of the drive enclosure that you are using?
    What happens if you reboot and invoke the startup manager?
    Does the external drive show up?
    And then…. not boot?
    Again, could be a problem with the controller chip/board in the drive itself.

If you want an external back that is GUARANTEED to boot your Mac (yes, "guaranteed"), do this:
    1. Buy a USB3/SATA docking station and one or more "bare drives" to go into it. I specifically recommend this one:
    http://plugable.com/products/usb3-sata-u3
    2. Put bare drive into dock, initialize with Disk Utility.
    3. Create your clone using either CCC or SuperDuper
    4. Reboot.

16. garycurtis thread starter macrumors 6502

I think you hit a nerve. The drive itself is a Toshiba 2Tb internal drive. The enclosure was made by Touro and OWC had them on sale for $1.

Looks like it's time to invest in a proper enclosure. How do I ascertain if my drive is Sata or eSata? All I know is that it's a 3.5" internal.

17. Fishrrman macrumors G3

[[ How do I ascertain if my drive is Sata or eSata? All I know is that it's a 3.5" internal. ]]

Take it out of the enclosure and look at it.

If it's a SATA drive, get the enclosure I referred to in post #15.

Put the drive into it, and see what happens next.
    Unless there's something flaky on the controller board of the "bare drive" itself, it should boot right up (after a proper cloning job).

18. garycurtis, May 3, 2014
    Last edited: May 9, 2014

garycurtis thread starter macrumors 6502

Fisherrman, I bought the drive dock from Amazon. Powered USB 3, with a on/off switch and LED.

It works just as promised. For less than $30. I can boot from and it is fast.

I have a question, at the risk of morphing this thread. I know that an HD I/O speed is the limit of any connection. And thus, Thunderbolt is a waste of time for a spinning HD.

But, say you have an SSD connected via USB 3 cable. Will the I/O speed of data exceed 70-90 Mb/sec? That is my current backups over USB-3 to a spinning disk are running at 70-90mb/sec.

Thanks. Happy camper in sunny Santa Monica