How to make Facebook.app perfectly iPad-usable

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by itskristian, May 23, 2010.

1. itskristian macrumors newbie

A lot of people have been complaining about the iPhone->iPad conversion, especially in 2x mode. Facebook.app looks borderline unusable, but by doing a couple of things I've managed to make it completely usable and look great as well.

1. Install "FullForce" from Cydia. FullForce basically turns iPhone apps into great-looking iPad apps (usually). From Gizmodo: "A clever little extension that installs to the iPad's settings screen. From there, you can designate iPhone apps—the ones that haven't been properly adapted for the iPad yet—to stretch out to the iPad's resolution. I'm not talking about pixel doubling, either: apps employ native UI elements, and scale dynamically."

2. Enable Facebook.app in FullForce settings, in Settings.app. From here you can also enable any other iPhone app you'd like to try with FullForce.

3. Just one more nice little touch. I've created a Default.png file for Facebook on the iPad - this is the splash screen you see when you open the app. I've included both the tinypic link, and a dropbox zip file - I'm not really sure whether uploading it to tinypic will cause any issues, so just to be safe.

Tinypic
    Dropbox

To use this, SSH into your iPad and put it in the following place: /User/Applications/AA42E7C2-C8B4-4F2A-A237-848F67BE37E7/Facebook.app
    You should keep the original Default.png just in case, but this should work.
    I'm not sure if the AA42... section is the same for everyone, I would think it would be though. If not, doing a simple search for Facebook.app in Cyberduck worked for me.

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

2. mattroman246 macrumors 6502

mattroman246

Great tip, thanks a lot! Wasn't aware this app was out

3. Xtgirl macrumors regular

4. Gleemen macrumors regular

Sadly it doesn't work perfectly in Full Force mode. You can't upload pictures within the Facebook app because Full Force extends the app past the screen size so one can't hit the upload action for the photos.

5. xraytech macrumors 68020

Tried FullForce and so far The only apps I would use with this Extension is Twitter and FaceBook. Removing Extension now.

6. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

7. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

Meh, tried this out a few days ago and removed it...it looks like a pretty iPhone app scaled to the iPad's screen, if that makes any sense. :p

Yes it looks better than x2'd, but it still looks off...Twitter for iPhone works with FullForce as well, but I ditched that in favour of Twitterriffic (free, and pretty decent)...Facebook on iPad doesn't need an app if you ask me, the web version works fairly well. :)

Thanks for posting anyway, FullForce is a cool utility, now more people will be able to enjoy its goodiness.

Note (off topic): it usually doesn't work with games, but I've had great success using FullForce and Cube Runner II, looks and works pretty damn good!

8. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

I'm assuming this is the same tweak that one does by editing the plist file where device types are designated. It came out weeks ago. Tried it. Made FB look great, but parts of the screen are unusable or unaccessible.

Fail.

Facebook needs to re-write for the iPad or we just use Safari.