How to make files auto rename when putting into folder

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nrweaver, Sep 20, 2010.

1. nrweaver macrumors member

Here is what I need to do. I need to take as many as six compact flash cards and put them into one folder right off the camera. In windows when you do this it asks to auto rename the files to different files. It might add a (2) at the end or something like that.

When I do this on the mac it will only ask to 'stop' or 'replace' it will not give the option to auto change files names.

This cannot be done on the camera (atleast lets pretend it cannot)

2. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

I personally use Photo Mechanic for downloading cards. It has an option to append a letter or number, etc. to the end of duplicate filenames.
    Free demo at: http://www.camerabits.com

3. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

Not sure if you have some kind of special situation, but my camera increments filenames as it shoots, and rolls over after 9999 photos. So if I shot six cards' worth of photos I would keep getting unique filenames unless I was taking more than 10,000 photos total per "session" (i.e. time between dumps to the computer).

Does your camera do this? Do you reset the filename counter each time? Just weird that you would have to do this to begin with as the filenames should not be repeating themselves...

4. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

I assumed he was using more then one camera which is when I will sometimes run into the situation. For sports coverage or weddings with more then one photographer it isn't unusual to have 6 or more cameras downloading onto the same computer.