How to make high(er)-res screenshots of Google Maps?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by discosoap, Sep 2, 2012.

1. discosoap macrumors regular

Hi guys,

I have the following challenge: I'd like to make a high-res screenshot (say 6000 x 4000 pixels) of a webpage (to create a highly zoomable Google map screenshot.png). My Macbook has a maximum screen resolution of 1680 x 1050, and I can't figure out how to force Safari/Chrome/Firefox to make a larger browser window (thus with content outside my screen). I can stretch the content window horizontally (as big as I like), but not vertically (it will give me 1050 pixels maximum). Does anyone have any idea on how to create a high(er)-res screenshot of Google maps? Any solution (or workaround) would be greatly appreciated)!!

Kind regards from Holland,

discosoap

2. simsaladimbamba

You make several screenshots (CMD+SHIFT+4) and combine those screenshots via Gimp or the 30-day trial of Photoshop. I have done it before and it is an okay procedure.

3. discosoap, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012

discosoap thread starter macrumors regular

Dear Simsaladimbamba

Thanks for your quick response!! Yes, i considered your solution, and it could certainly be a last resort . I was hoping for a more efficient solution though, because the level of detail I want to attain would require at least 100 smaller screenshots per map... Moreover, I have to create quite a few high-res maps which would add up to an enormous amount of photoshopping :) Any other suggestions would thus be very welcome :)

4. BrianBaughn, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012

BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Stitching multiple shots together would probably be iffy as the on-map labels are dynamic and don't appear in the same position all the time. Except at full zoom, maybe.

5. discosoap thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, thank you Brian, good point!! One more reason not to use this particular solution.. Still hoping that one of you MR-wizards knows an alternative solution :) Again, any suggestion to solve my problem is very welcome!!

6. BrianBaughn, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2014

BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Here's a video demo of how it can be done by modifying the embed code at Google Maps and pasting into an HTML page, then using Firefox and the add-on "Screengrab". Works.

7. discosoap thread starter macrumors regular

And bam!! Right there, that's why I love this community, there's always a helpful and bright mind coming up with a solution. That's exactly what I needed. Thanks a million Brian, very, very helpful :D

8. jbeyer05 macrumors newbie

The link that BrianBaughn posted on 2012-09-05 is currently filled with asterisks for me. I'm logged in to a legitimate registered account. Could someone re-post the link, or explain why I can't see it?

Thanks in advance!

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've updated the link :)