How to make mail autodelete once it's downloaded to Mac

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ddeadserious, Sep 20, 2010.

1. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

I had my iPhone/Mac set up(seems to have just worked this way, I didn't do anything specifically) this way previous to my hard drive failing last week.

When I was out(Macbook Pro is closed at home), and I received e-mail(Gmail and Hotmail), my mail would come to my phone.

Then, once I opened my Macbook Pro, and the messages came into my Mail.app inbox, they would disappear(read: delete) from my iPhone.

Well, my HDD died last week, and now all of my messages stay on my phone as well as on my Mac, except they don't show up as unread on my Mac if they've been read by me on my iPhone.

I want them to autodelete from my iPhone when theyre downloaded to my Mac.

Is this a Mail or Gmail setting? Any help is appreciated.

2. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Nobody elses iPhone/Mac combo behaves like this?

3. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

I have all my Hotmail forwarded to my GMail address. Then anything that happens on either the iPhone, Mac, or GMail server is done on all 3. So if I remove a message from my Mac then it is deleted from the GMail server and my iPhone, and vice-versa.

4. Scott90 macrumors 6502

Make sure you set the email accounts up as IMAP. This changes the emails (read/unread, deleted, moved to folder, etc.) on the server, which means your Mac downloads it the way the server presents it. If it's setup as POP, email clients will download the email to the device first, and then change emails only locally.