Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2ms

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2002
I have my iPhone 6 set to get gmail using Push notifications (i.e., the default setting). Yet, it does not seem to receive mail unless I open Mail up and pull the screen downwards to trigger the fetching action.

Is it supposed to work that way? I don't see what is "push" about it. When I wake up in the morning, Mail hasn't updated since some time the previous evening. Additionally, Mail seems to take a surprisingly long time to get my mail. I would say it takes even often takes 30 seconds or so on a fast connection.

Do I have everything set to be as current and fast as possible? Is it possible gmail is what is making the updates so slow?

Any advice would be appreciated.

koolmagicguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
New York
Are you using the built in email app? If you are, Gmail will not get push notifications. It can only fetch, in intervals of 15, 30 minutes, etc. Only iCloud mail supports push on iPhone. However, you can forward Gmail to iCloud and then you will get push notification "from" Gmail.

2ms

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2002
Yes I am using the built in email app. I'm really not familiar with iCloud mail at all. Can you tell me more about it? To me it's just been an email address I haven't used just because everyone knows me by my gmail address.

Do you use gmail and iCloud to push it to you?

Whatever advice you could provide on how to use iCloud would be appreciated.

koolmagicguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
New York
I'm going to start using iCloud for push notifications too. I had just suggested it to you but I'm curious to see if it will work like I expect. I'll walk you through IMAP forwarding. Go to Gmail and go to settings. Click on Forwarding and POP/IMAP. Make sure IMAP is enabled, then click on Add a Forwarding Address. Enter your iCloud email address (*****@icloud.com). You will get a verification email in your iCloud mail. Click the link to allow forwarding. Then go back to Gmail and under Forwarding click "Forward a copy of incoming mail to ____" and select your new forwarding address: iCloud. All set. All that remains is to set your device notifications and iCloud preferences.
[doublepost=1460325512][/doublepost]However, this thread is right; you can't reply to iCloud email using your Gmail address. I guess I'll stick with Gmail. 15 minutes isn't a deal breaker.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Are you using the built in email app? If you are, Gmail will not get push notifications. It can only fetch, in intervals of 15, 30 minutes, etc. Only iCloud mail supports push on iPhone. However, you can forward Gmail to iCloud and then you will get push notification "from" Gmail.
Well, various other providers support push as well, like Outlook, and Exchange accounts for example.

koolmagicguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
New York
Well, various other providers support push as well, like Outlook, and Exchange accounts for example.
True. I just downloaded Spark. Best 3rd party email client yet! I love it. Moved the stock app into a folder never to be used again.

GalFieri

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2016
California
True. I just downloaded Spark. Best 3rd party email client yet! I love it. Moved the stock app into a folder never to be used again.
Just be aware that when you use apps like Spark or CloudMagic, those companies/apps actually have access to your email (because otherwise they wouldn't be able to send you push notifications or do their "smart" filtering stuff). If you're not comfortable with that, I wouldn't use them. And they aren't exactly email providers.

I use Spark myself though.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
The OP hasn't actually said what email service isn't pushing.

If it's Gmail you can download the Gmail app and get push notifications. You can turn off everything but the notification sound if that's all you want...then open Mail and get the message.

15 minute fetch is as good as you can get with standard Gmail in the stock Mail app on an un-jailbroken iOS device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.