How to make menu more transparent?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by seasurfer, Feb 12, 2008.

1. seasurfer macrumors 6502a

Since the update, my right-click-menu-bar is less transparent, I really don't like this opaque one. Is there anyway to make it more transparent.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

After all the whining to get rid of transparency, they have. However I don't think you can change it back, but there may be a terminal command to do so.

3. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I agree. I liked the transparency. It was hardly noticeable then, and now it's just plain and ugly again.

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

It was plenty noticeable, especially on high contrast background elements. I'm glad they sacrificed pointless eye-candy to the gods of actual usability (for the first time in years, now if only they'd do that in some other areas of the system).

5. thirdeyeopen666 macrumors 6502

thirdeyeopen666

Give me a break. There was *zero* usability issue for the level of transparency on context menus. I get so tired of hearing how it affected people's work. Trust me, I'm understanding of everyone's individual opinion... but this just ain't valid. You know you didn't have a problem getting things done when they were blurred and more transparent. Now... well, now they're just boring. Lame. There was absolutely no need for Apple to touch the context menus.

6. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I loved the more transparent menus, but these aren't too bad.

7. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

I preferred them before but I don't mind now.

What would be best is if Apple just put a slider in the System prefs that let you determine the opacity of these things to how it suited you.

8. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

It only bothered some very vocal people, though. They fixed the menu bar by giving the option to keep it translucent or not. But they changed the menus back without giving the same option, which is a sad thing for those of us who liked the translucency and weren't bothered by it. :(

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

would you like a slide bar somewhere to set opacity of menu bar from 0% to 100% (like every linux distro has:D)?

10. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

This is why every Linux distro has about 10,000 slide bars, so no, no we don't. :rolleyes:

If we wanted to run the infinitely configurable (read: confusing mess) OS, we would.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

apparent somebody wants it.

and no, linux does not have 10,000 slider bars, altho obviously more than OSX :p

12. wilfried macrumors member

I'm new to Mac with Leopard, so I have no basis for comparison with what preceded. However, the translucent menu bar never bothered me, and I barely noticed it. I never noticed the menu translucency at all until I started reading the complaints and I looked more closely and thought, "Oh yeah, there it is." I tried the 2D dock, again because of the complaints, just to see what the hoopla was about, and I went back to the 3D doc; it looks fine on my setup. I can see having a preference of one over the other, but I can't see getting too worked up about it. Is this a case of getting overly attached to trivial things you're used to? Now that I've used the translucent menus, maybe I'll start screaming, "How dare they change that!" :rolleyes:

I'm interested to see how the functional changes, the new stacks and Time Machine, affect my life. I'll find out when I get home.