How to make more than 1 hard drive partition

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Molopo, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Molopo macrumors regular

When I try to make another partition on my harddrive (I've already made one housing windows XP), the bootcamp utility that my mac came with only gives me the option of removing the current partition. How do I make another one? Thank you.

2. celticpride678

You can only have one Bootcamp Partition.

If you just want to partition your hard drive, try looking at Disk Utility. Not sure whether you would have to reinstall because you would be partitioning Mac OS X.

3. Molopo thread starter macrumors regular

How do people do triple-boots on their macs then? Or is that using disk util to partition, and then manually doing everything else from there? If that's the case, does anyone have a guide I can follow to make a second windows bootcamp partition? Thanks.

Disk util says that since the disk appears to be partitioned for bootcamp, partitioning it again may result in windows being unbootable. Should I heed this warning, or is disk util spouting lies?

Also, I installed rEFIt. How is it going to help me triple-boot?

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

You have to use disk utility to partition. As for the warning from disk util, this is a possiblity, but didn't happen to me. As long as you don't mess with the bootcamp partition you should be fine. This will not require a re-install, it will just take space from OSX.

This is what I did to install ubuntu and windows on my mac. I used bootcamp to install windows and then disk utility to create the space for ubuntu. What I had to do for the ubuntu install was I just created a partition (space taken from OSX partition, not bootcamp) and then immediately deleted it, leaving unallocated space. Then I just used the ubuntu installer to create a partition with that unallocated space and it also created another partition automatically for swap. I use rEFIt to boot from them and it was worked just fine.

Note: If you want to install ubuntu, don't expect all hardware to work. You have to a little work for some hardware to function (speakers, bluetooth, graphics card, multi-touch trackpad if you have a notebook, and a few others) which involves using the terminal and modifying system files. Just think about this before you install a linux distro. If you just want to test a linux distro, install it via VMware fusion. This works wonderfully for testing and gives you an idea of how it will work on a dedicated partition.

Make sure you back up windows with winclone and OSX with time machine before you do anything. Things can always happen with the disk when you are creating/deleting/resizing partitions, or doing anything other type of disk maintenance.

If you want a second windows partition:
    -go into disk utility and go to your disk, not the partitions (indented) and go under the partition tab.

-Select the mac OSX partition and click the "+" button down at the bottom left.

-specify how large you want this partition to be, and format it as FAT.

-After the partitioning is done, boot from your windows install disk (insert the disc while in leopard, reboot, and when rEFIt shows up, select the disk) and when it asks for what partition, select the partition that you just made. Make sure its the right one!

-If you are installing vista or Win7 (I'm guessing you are because you already have XP), format the drive as NTFS before you install.

-I'm guessing you are going to need to keep an eye on the install for when it reboots because you will have your OSX partition automatically booted from rEFIt if you don't select something else after a certain period of time. So when windows reboots, make sure you select the correct partition to boot up from to continue the installation.

-After the install is done, and you are booted into windows. Insert your Leopard install disk and install the bootcamp drivers. Just like you did with XP. This will get the hardware working.

-After you do this you should be able to choose what OS to boot from with rEFIt every-time you boot up. Just make sure with rEFIt if you want to use it, you don't specify another disk with the system preferences-> startup disk pref pane. This will disable rEFIt and you will have to re-install.

If anything is confusing please ask. You don't want to mess anything up. Again, make sure you back up everything first!

Also, if anyone else thinks I missed something, tell me and I will add it to my post.